Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scope Opinions Wanted

Old 12-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Scope Opinions Wanted

I'd like to get a scope for my Browning X-Bolt Hunter 308. I'm looking for something "all around" for hunting deer, black bear, elk, possibly pigs, depending on where I'm at. My work situation is going to put me on the road for the next few years (6 months here, 4 months there, 9 months wherever), and I like to pack light. I could be sent anywhere from North Dakota to Seattle to Utah/Arizona, etc. And I'd like to bring the rifle if I have a chance to hunt. My point is, I don't know the specific area I might be hunting, so I couldn't tell you range, terrain, even game, and even then, it would likely be a very different hunt next season. I'm truly after a "one size fits all" here.

So I've done some research, and I've narrowed my scope options down to two. Either a Leupold VX-2 2-7x33, or a Leupold fixed power FX-2 4x33, both with duplex reticle.

I am leaning toward the fixed power 4x because I like to keep things simple, and it's the generally accepted old school "all arounder." Although I'm not 100% convinced. I'd like to be swayed by some experienced people here.

All opinions, thoughts, recommendations are welcome.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are planing to hunt in the west where there can be long distance shooting, you would be better off with a variable powered scope.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would also have to disagree with your leaning toward the fixed power. If you are going to have a lot of different possibilities as to what and where you hunt like you mentioned, I would definitely go with the 2-7 or a 3-9 variable that will allow a greater range to do your thing with, especially on western hunts. Just leave it down on the lower power until you need it for a longer shot. It's really that simple and your choice of a Leupold is a good one, as that's about all I have on all my rifles.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both mine and my wifes rifles are topped with Leupold VX3 2.5-8. We've used them here in NH where we just leave them on 2.5 (50 yards is a long shot) and we took them to WY this year they worked great, game was taken at 50,50,120,176 yards and while I missed I had no problem trying a 300 yard shot on a pronghorn, the 8x was fine.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I used a fixed power 4x for years but switching to a variable as many have mentioned is the way to go. It just allows for far more hunting options.

JW
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

If cheap is key, look to a 3-9x.

A 4-12x
or 4-16x might be even nicer.

3-15x

I'd personally take a 2-7x over a 4x, but that's just my thinking.

Think about a 3-9x.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Fixed power scopes are more durable and variables are more versatile. Only you can decide which is more important. I have and use both. Neither is a bad choice.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:50 PM
Spike

Thanks for the responses. You've definitely swayed me ... now I'm somewhere in the middle. I also found that amazon has a a Leupold VX-3i 1.75-6x32 for a very good price. What are your thoughts on that?

Once I pick out a scope I will spend some time shooting the rifle to get more comfortable with it. I think that will help my accuracy at distance far more than a larger magnification scope. I have been shooting a 17 hmr with a 4x fixed scope for a little while and on a good day I can shoot about a 1" group at 100 yards on a bean bag. (Don't ask be about a bad day). Kidding aside, I know the larger rifle is a different story. But my thoughts are that if I get consistent with it at 100 yards then 300 yards shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I can see the appeal for a variable power scope. What are your thoughts on the VX-3i I just mentioned?
Old 12-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by McGov
Thanks for the responses. You've definitely swayed me ... now I'm somewhere in the middle. I also found that amazon has a a Leupold VX-3i 1.75-6x32 for a very good price. What are your thoughts on that?

Once I pick out a scope I will spend some time shooting the rifle to get more comfortable with it. I think that will help my accuracy at distance far more than a larger magnification scope. I have been shooting a 17 hmr with a 4x fixed scope for a little while and on a good day I can shoot about a 1" group at 100 yards on a bean bag. (Don't ask be about a bad day). Kidding aside, I know the larger rifle is a different story. But my thoughts are that if I get consistent with it at 100 yards then 300 yards shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I can see the appeal for a variable power scope. What are your thoughts on the VX-3i I just mentioned?
If your gonna hunt az that scope won't cut it unless you keep your shots to a minimum maybe 2 to 300 yards depending on how good your eyes are. There are places here you can shoot at shorter distances but why tie your hands get a variable and the best you can afford. Just my opinion.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

What are your thoughts on the VX-3i I just mentioned?

IMHO if you are talking hunting out west for elk, deer, or antelope I would be looking at a scope with an upper power of at least 9 and depending how your eyes are maybe even 12 power. A 6x IMHO isn't enough for long shots out west, but if you don't plan on shooting over about 250 to 300 yards max then the 6x will probably do you okay and that price they have on Amazon won't be beat anywhere!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.