Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Corner jumping

Old 12-17-2016, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The NRA does not get involved with things like you're talking about super hunt54. The big ranchers that own millions of acres have the politicians in their hip pocket and it's mostly politicians that are holding us back from getting access to OUR public land. Montana actually had a Bill introduced in their Legislature a year or two ago to allow corner crossing and it was defeated, all because of the backlash by big ranchers who cried that their property would be ruined by the public, LOL! As much as I hate to say it, IMHO this needs to be taken care of at the national level such that every state has to allow access to landlocked public property in one way or another. That is another very slippery slope to cross when you are talking about the Feds and individual state's rights. IMHO corner crossing would be the very simple one to solve in that wherever there is no legal corned marker a survey could be done and a permanent marker could be installed such that crossing there would do no damage to the private property on either side. Many corners like we're talking about are already marked. It is a whole different situation and difficult to figure out what could be done to allow access onto public property that is completely surrounded by private property. It would almost be necessary to use eminent domain to take a chunk of the private land and make it public land so that it could be legally accessed by the public if a rancher would not sell that piece voluntarily for a fair price and I doubt that will ever happen.

Jeepkid---What you have stated sounds very simple, but when you start talking politics like I mentioned in my other paragraph it's not that simple!
If pressured by members Top they most certainly will get involved. That is the problem with a lot of organizations, the whole of the membership seldom unites on a cause and they let the rich run rough shot over them. The rich folks think they have all the power to do whatever the hell they want to do because the "little guys" allow it thinking there is nothing they can do. There is a hell of a lot more power in numbers than there is in rich folks dollars. The problem is, the normal day to day folks have the sheep mentality and simply allow whatever the rich folks want to do. "He's got all that money, not a thing I can do about it" is a mentality in this country that needs to be put to a halt. Spending money on land with no clear access was stupid to begin with. Allowing all the surrounding land to be privatized, closing off access, was even more stupid.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I understand what you're saying super hunt54, but IMHO the NRA wasn't organized to do what we're talking about even if a lot of the members asked them to get involved. Even the RMEF that I belong to that's designed to gain access to public lands mainly does it by getting donations to buy private property to allow access to the landlocked public property. I don't believe they have ever actually been involved in what we're talking about, but they might be a main organization to spearhead something like you're talking about.

For the other guys discussing this corner marking or lack of it, there is nothing on the books that says there has to be a legal survey marker of any type to designate a corner or boundary line between public and private property. Again, please try to understand that what seems to make sense to us is not so easy when you understand the politics involved in this access to public land that we're discussing here. These big ranchers have a terrific amount of political clout in the western states and it will be very difficult to right what is keeping us off OUR public land when politics and Legislators is what needs to change to open these lands to us.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Top,

That's what I'm getting at...if the corners aren't clearly marked then how is it possible to get ticketed?

You are past LE, you can't legally write a ticket based on hear-say, correct? Unless an officer watches someone go onto private property that is clearly marked it's all a moot point I would think??
Old 12-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Top,

That's what I'm getting at...if the corners aren't clearly marked then how is it possible to get ticketed?

You are past LE, you can't legally write a ticket based on hear-say, correct? Unless an officer watches someone go onto private property that is clearly marked it's all a moot point I would think??
exactly! here on a 4 way corner (where 4 properties join) there is a 5/8's" rebar drove in the ground, it is capped with a plastic cap bearing the surveyors name and number, actually on every turn in a surveyed line, even if its one degree, there is a capped rebar, or other marking such as a planted stone.
RR
Old 12-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
exactly! here on a 4 way corner (where 4 properties join) there is a 5/8's" rebar drove in the ground, it is capped with a plastic cap bearing the surveyors name and number, actually on every turn in a surveyed line, even if its one degree, there is a capped rebar, or other marking such as a planted stone.
RR
That may well be the case in WV and some other states. I know there is exactly as you described on the sw corner of the 20 acres I own up in northern MI where three other property corners adjoin mine. However, it's not that way in Wyoming and a lot of the other western states. Even if there was at every spot where that occurs and you can find that spot to cross from one piece of public ground to the other there is court precedence regarding air space and that's how the ranchers can get away with keeping you from corner crossing if they are in a county in Wyoming where the County Sheriff and Prosecutor will honor that ruling. As I stated earlier in this thread, the WY G&F lost a case on corner crossing and ever since then they are not taking a chance on writing a ticket and losing the case if it went to court. However, a lot of the County Sheriffs and Prosecutors out there are in elected positions and are "beholden" to the ranchers in their area if you get my drift. That is why I stated that this entire lack of public land access, whether it be where corner crossing comes in or where the public land is completely surrounded by private property, needs to be rectified by laws that specifically allow corner crossing and something also needs to be done to gain access across any private property that prevents the public from accessing their land and it's millions of acres out west.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Right on Topgun, hence my original post lol.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

sounds to me like the western G&F depts. need to get off their cans and do their jobs, government uses eminent domain to access any place for the better of a majority, its how they build roads, flood control dams, put in power stations, etc .
RR
Old 12-18-2016, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That may well be the case in WV and some other states. I know there is exactly as you described on the sw corner of the 20 acres I own up in northern MI where three other property corners adjoin mine. However, it's not that way in Wyoming and a lot of the other western states.
Yep, in my native CO it even states in the hunting regs that it is the responsibility of the hunter to know where the boundaries are and that they are solely responsible for staying off private property whether it is marked or not. Personally I've always kind of thought if the ranchers are that worried about it they should be required to fence their land, but the state says they don't have to.

Thankfully I've never had a problem since the ranchers where I hunt aren't too concerned if someone steps on their land for a few feet to access public ground. Being so boneheaded about it could actually be counter productive because if they prevent the public from hunting public land then I can see to that leading to some deer/pronghorn/elk being shot out of their hay meadows in spite. Not condoning such actions mind you, but I could see it happening especially on some of the bigger places where the meadows may be 5 or 6 miles from the ranch house. Some of these ranches are more than 100,000 acres.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Most the civilian GPSs being sold are accurate to within about 4 meters. Military GPS is more accurate but not by much. 4 meters is a little over 12 feet. So the GPS could actually have you that far into private land.

Topcon surveying instruments possess submeter accuracy.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

A GPS unit may be accurate to 12 feet but that doesn't necessarily mean it can locate a property corner with that kind of accuracy. It would depend more so on the map that you're using, or the coordinate you're using for that particular corner. Most maps used in GPS units are based off county assessor's maps, and plenty of times I've seen where their property corners and/or lines are off by three to four hundred feet. So I sure wouldn't count on a GPS getting you within 12 feet of the actual property corner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.