Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Hunt in Colorado ?

Old 12-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Several good post. The first consideration is really what are you looking for in hunt. I always think it best that hunters consider the complete experience as even going with an outfitter is certainly no guarantee of seeing an elk. Both private land and public have there pros and cons. Private is quite a bit higher in most circumstances and if the elk bail off the private when the first bullets fly there isn't much advantage. Public land obviously is not exclusive. The next consideration should be what kind of lodging do you want. Many outfitter camps have camp chef, private heated tents etc and can be quite luxurious considering the environment whiling getting you away from the crowds in good elk territory. Lodge hunts, while certainly more accommodating can find you driving many miles into elk county, and hiking a good bit to get into elk country. I like that you are getting out in front of things early, not only does it give you time to vet the outfit, but many of the better operations book out nearly a year in advance. It also lets you get preference points if needed. Hope this helps, I could go on for many pages but this and the other post should get you started.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Spike

Colorado RFW tags are resident only tags.. you do have youth preference for an advantage in some units. Also you have an extended hunting season with an unfilled cow tag.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Josierock
Colorado RFW tags are resident only tags.. you do have youth preference for an advantage in some units. Also you have an extended hunting season with an unfilled cow tag.
Not quite. The public drawing tags are reserved for residents but the ranches are allowed to sell 90% of the tags for bulls and bucks. 10% of the male tags and most of the female tags are issued via the drawing.

Non-residents can hunt RFW but they will pay for the hunt and not just draw the tag.