Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Ethical Shot

Old 11-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Ethical Shot

So, I have found an area where the bulls are bedding. Unfortunately it is about 10 yards from private no go area. I feel I can put the stalk on and get above them with an opportunity to shoot one that is bedded down. Problem is if he manages to get up and run on to the private I'm out of luck for retrieval. I have talked with the owner and she was not willing to let let me go on the property. First question is about shooting one that is bedded; unethical? Second is shot placement. If I can get in to position above him I would have about a 20 to 30 yrd shot. My though is to hit him in the spine at the base of the neck. This way I hope it is a one shot and he doesn't move. If he were to run on to the private I would certainly notify the land owner and she can do as she pleases, but obviously I don't want to waste the animal. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Banned

what is your weapon? for sure I would do it with a rifle at 30 yards. would have to consider options if bow.

IT would be a bummer if it did get on the other property and she wouldn't let you retrieve it but rest assured ,nature would not let it go to waste.

not saying you should do it or not do it. guess it depends on how confident you are on making a quick, clean kill.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:50 PM
Spike

Default Etical Shot

I am shooting a 270 140 gr ballistic tip. I have had good luck in the past with one shot kills on some cows where they ran only 20 yrd or so. This would be my fist opportunity at a bull and I don't want to screw it up.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:56 PM
Spike

As far as confidence goes, at the short distance I'm sure I can hit it. Again my concern with the placement is to hit the spine so it doesn't have a chance to move. A bull elk has a big neck and I guess I need to study the skeletal system to make sure I hit bone an not meat...
Old 11-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Banned

if , front shot ,I would put er right betwix his eyes. if rear right where base of skull and spine meet
Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a tougher bullet and shoot him right in the high shoulder, he won't go anywhere.

And if he does go onto the other property then screw the landowner. Call up the Warden, tell him what happened and go get your bull!
Old 11-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Find the route they are using to get to the bedding area and set an ambush along that route. Remove the boundry from the equation all together.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Spike

These guys get hunted pretty hard. An outfitter drives the pivots below with his dudes in this area where they feed and they are in their beds by sun up and don't venture out till well after shooting hours. I've only caught them once in the open by chance in a sideways snow storm and surprised the hell out of them and myself. They bed below a cliff ban and my hope is to sneak up on top of them and get a shot. Thanks for the reply's. I may have to borrow a bigger cal to feel better about the shot.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

I consider shooting a bedded animal a sign of being a good hunter, never considered it an ethical issue at all. When I still hunt the goal is always to get them before they see me. As for the land situation. With a rifle I'd certainly take the shot.
-Jake
Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Jake. For a still hunter the holy grail is getting the drop on a bedded animal without being seen. I also agree with Flags. Hunting right on the property line is not a high percentage endeavor if you are looking for an uncomplicated harvest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.