Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck? >

What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck?

Just curious to see what everyone's experience of the farthest range that you have taken to shoot a buck. I saw this in one of the sites http://bit.ly/2fwteUZ, this hunter took an 875 yard shot. The farthest I ever took is probably less than 200 yards and I missed.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

330 yards?

with practice I'm quite certain 500, 600 yds would be possible.

There's few hunting shows I can bare to watch anymore, one recently I saw a kid shoot a Ibex at 800 plus yards? The kid missed one earlier in the hunt.
I'm cool with a kid shooting 800yds if they can, but the dad carried the rifle the entire time, which was a monster of a rifle, then the dad ranged the animal, adjusted the scope, etc... told the kid to pull the trigger. Seemed like the dad wanted an ibex much more than the kid. I really think sheep moose, goat once in a lifetime type tags should only be for adults... kids can cut their teeth on deer, antelope, elk hunts...until they're an adult.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Spike

Yeh, when I missed my shot it was just the excitement, so all the basic marksmanship just went out the window. lol
Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on which rifle I have with me. SLUG gun and 30-30 I won't go past 100. The Rem 700 I will go out to about 300 but I have never needed to because the areas I hunt are much shorter ranges then that. IF I had open land areas to hunt I may take time to practice further and see what I could successfully achieve consistently.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Deer, 325 yards. Antelope, 422.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK<I have been in the long range shooting game a long time now, 30+ yrs of 1,000+ yard shooting, been part of a video series on long range hunting too
what I will say is this,
MOST of the behind the scene's, of misses, and BAD hits get edited out MOST of the time from what I have seen!
there in business to SELL things, showing how things go wrong, is NOT as common as they show you how it all works when it does!

HUNTING and shooting are two different things IMO
I have kills past 800+ yrs, I call them more shooting than hunting,a s the only real skill at the shot, was just that SHOOTING, and YES , IF you take the time to Learn how to shoot far and shoot far ALOT, to get good at it, and ALL the elements line up, killing an animal WAY out there can be done,
but , go to any long range match ans watch even the pro's fling a shot off target due to a gust of wind or a simple flinch!
happens a LOT more than you think and there shooting off a bench, NOT in the hunting field!

shooting far is a skill you EARN ,and learn by practice and desire to learn HOW
its NOT about buying "X" item and just going out there aiming and your a long range shooter!
ain't that easy
sure you can get lucky
but I don't call that responsible hunting!

Last edited by mrbb; 11-07-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer maybe 400. Elk 516 paces.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

220 or so on a mule deer and about the same on a woodland caribou. All the rest well under 150.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Out of somewhere around 200 big game animals that I've shot in the past 50 years, I can count on one hand the number that I shot at over 350 yards.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

300 yards on a Pronghorn. I got him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.