Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck? >

What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's the farthest shot that you have taken to bring down a buck?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Really. Longest was 8 pointer just shy of 273 yards. Yet 3 posts earlier it was whitetail at 360. Then comes along a Mule deer at 650. All over the map, more like all over the toilet seat with this load of crap.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:01 AM
Spike

327 yards on whitetail with my 300 win mag, was my longest
Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM
Banned

511 yards on a Muley doe. .308 baby!!
Old 12-01-2017, 02:00 AM
Spike

200 yards with my muzzle loader. Thompson .50 cal barnes bullet and blackhorn 209
Old 03-08-2018, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

536 GPS'd with a .338WinMag Ballistic tip. A second at 540 with a measured with a precision laser device'professional grade',I would not have been able to pace anything, same .338 and 180 Ballistic tip. All I saw on the longer of the two was a white belly lying on the ground by the time I came off recoil. The shorter shot was terrible... it was raining and cold and I'd sat for a couple to three hours on my rain jacket under a well protected spruce. I shot once and he went down, then started to get up again, I shot for the neck the next time and missed entirely, and the third shot took my hearing away from me but was a complete pass thru on both front shoulders. 99% of my game has been harvested at between 30 and 120 yards. The last BIG BUCK I shot at was at 110 which is a chip shot right? well, I didn't touch a hair on his body! My guess is there was a limb I didn't see between he and I. I tracked him in 12 in of snow for well over a mile and NO sign he'd been touched. My last doe was at maybe 40 yards and never moved a muscle. I've had maybe 2-3 in the 200-300 yd range but as I said, between 30 and 120 for the most part. One of my most exciting moments is when I stood against a tree and my little brother took his first one with a .30-30 at 15 feet! That forkhorn did a complete backflip and was DRT. Know where he shot him? right between the eyes! Not a shot I would have gone for with the open sighted Win 94 (newer sloppy version) but he made it perfect. It entered the head dropped to the spine and followed the spine. We found the bullet about 16 inches back in one of the top Loins ( :-( ) Fully expended energy and the 150 core-lokt took another to it's credit.

I don't advocate long shots. I waited almost 15 minutes with a fully supported backpack and rest with the .338 before taking my longest shot, waiting for him to stop broadside. He still had cedar browse in his mouth when I got to him. The shot was so far away, the spike beside him laid down with him. It was a little sad to be honest to see that. Doe or Buck I respect them all. Give em a pat and say "thank you". I know for many of you you have the opportunity at many deer per year by law but not where I've ever lived; usually it's one and you're done.

For the record, don't shoot a small/medium deer (120lbs) at 30 yards with a .338 180 BT. You'll end up with a mess of bloodshot and bone fragments everywhere!

REM7600

Last edited by REM_7600; 03-08-2018 at 07:13 AM.