HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   moose hunt planning (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/409547-moose-hunt-planning.html)

brdeca 10-24-2016 02:02 PM

moose hunt planning

Hello,

this is my first post here and I just want to thank everyone in advance for any helpful information. I Live in California and I'm not exactly well versed in big game hunting so bare with me here.

My Friends and I are interested in planning a moose hunting trip in Alaska. obviously this isn't going to be any time soon; I'm thinking probably 2 years out. I'm just trying to do as much research as I can to try and figure out where exactly to start and what my options are. I was looking at unit 20a south of fairbanks. my biggest question is about getting out to whatever hunting grounds we decide upon. I know a popular option is chartering a plane to fly us out but that seems expensive especially considering that there is four of us. is there another, cheaper, option that I could consider?

any other helpful info would be highly appreciated as well.

thanks again!

Daveboone 10-29-2016 05:07 AM

Know your terrain, get topo maps, compass, and know how to use them.
Be sure your gun is bombproof, and don't spare the ammo ahead of time. Don't go crazy at distance practice: know what your gun will do at your optimal consistent best range. Sure, my gun can shoot 400 yards, but in honesty, in field conditions I am all over. At 200, I am consistent (and proven). Make sure all hunting partners are truly compatible for close quarters for as long as you are going, and don't need baby sitting. plan for and know how you will deal with a moose once it is down. Its a lot of work!

Bocajnala 10-29-2016 06:19 PM

I don't have any specific advice... But having read allot about moose hunting I will say it is unlikely that "cheap" will be used often in your hunt. These hunts are hard and expensive just because of the location they usually take place in. But good luck. It's on my dream list. Keep posting, would love to hear how the hunt goes and the planning process.
-Jake

brdeca 11-01-2016 10:05 AM

Maps and a compass are always a good idea thanks; and I definitely agree that it's best to keep your range at or under what you can consistently preform at. I mean I love being able to hit the 500yd gong at the range from time to time but those are very controlled conditions and I would never rely on that kind of shot to take down an animal.

I understand that this is by no means going to be an inexpensive endeavor, just budgeting out all the equipment we need plus getting to Alaska we're already at a couple grand per person, but from what I've looked at getting flown out into the bush would cost upwards of $3,000/person! Hopefully there's a way to get out there that doesn't double the budget haha. I'm hoping there's someone on here from Alaska and perhaps who knows the Fairbanks area who can point me in the right direction.

I will definitely try to keep this thread updated. just know it'll be a while. We came up with this plan a couple of months ago and we're just trying to get all the logistics together. probably looking at 2years before we actually end up going.

Bocajnala 11-03-2016 08:23 PM

That's a ton of money for a quick flight. I would have to guess there's someone/someway cheaper than that
-Jake

Ramhunter71 11-04-2016 09:38 AM

One thing to consider is that Alaska has very strict wanton waste laws and strongly enforce them. (They do a lot of fly-in spot checking of drop camps.) Meat has to be transported back to camp before capes and antlers. Almost all meat has to be recovered including rib meat. So be very careful where you shoot your moose and be prepared to do a lot of packing work to get it back to your camp where it can be flown out.

brdeca 11-07-2016 01:20 PM

yeah I was baffled at the prices of hunter drop offs. from what I've seen it all tends to be marketed as "self guided hunt" packages as opposed to simply transportation. I did get a phone number of a guy who might be able to help me out so I'll try to get in touch with him in the next week and let you guys know.

I will definitely try to read up on all the relevant laws and regulations. I'm with four of us we should be able to pack out a whole moose pretty well.

kevbmooney 11-07-2016 04:43 PM

You could get a really nice moose hunt in Newfoundland. Just do not use Rock Camp outfitters. Used them this year and what a joke. Over hunted and the camp is dirty. Trevour the owner will try to sell you a bear tag. The one guide has been guiding there for 9 yrs and only ever saw 5 bears. Would like to go back does anyone have the name of a good outfitter

littlearrow 11-07-2016 05:45 PM

brdeca: Check out this link: http://www.aaaalaskanoutfitters.com
They supply a huge amount of information, prices, what to take etc.
I made contact with them several years ago in regards to a moose hunt.
At that time, there was a two year waiting period as they were booked up.
I ended up purchasing a quarter of bush land and built a cabin etc. I am
glad I made this decision as I have had lots of enjoyment from the property
and in the future if I decide to sell, I can easily re coop my money. Viewing
the video etc. of different areas of Alaska, I enjoyed that as well. I have worked
in the oil field in the late 1960's and early 1970's in northern Alberta and the
Northwest Territories. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the bush country.
At the time, a trophy (over so many inches or points) required a trophy fee.
A none trophy animal could have the antlers split and packaged small which
would cut down on shipping size. You could only bring out 90 pound of meat
as the rest went to the Alaskan people. It is very expensive for the Alaskan
people to import food and supplies due to the seasons (boat, ice road or fly).
If you are happy with your guide, cook etc. a tip is greatly appreciated.
All the best in what ever you choose.