Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help with Elk hunt

Old 10-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kidoggy
lol.how bout if I'M HALFWAY THERE , does that make me knowledgeable enough to comment?
Yep but just barely. LOL
Old 10-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
That sounds incredible (as in, I believe you when you say you did this, but experiencing it must be mind-blowing). If the area you were hunting had healthy populations of wolves, bears, and cougars, though, would you only do this with companions and would you take turns keeping watch like people do when hunting the African bush?
I wouldn't be surprised if other critters might be following the scent/tracks, too.
Where I hunt there are lots of bear and a lot of cougar. But they don't cause much trouble and I've never worried about them. But then I grew up in elk country and that also means it was bear and cougar country. Every bear and cougar I've seen has only been interested in one thing and that's putting as much distance between them and me as possible.

For what it is worth I've also made 5 trips to Africa and we never posted a watch while others were sleeping. I think you've been reading too many books based on sensationalism.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would not be a correct assumption; what I said was based on a single conversation I had with a South African hunter who hunts with his son in the bush.

So apparently some people do it differently; I won't speculate on who's right or wrong.
The guy I talked to said he and his son post watch because they're concerned about hyenas and leopards where they hunt. Real people do it. Whether they're going to unnecessary lengths is another question, but I suppose it gives them peace of mind.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Well, the so called tactless first post was mine. So tell me, just where was it short on tact? This guy wants to know why he isn't getting elk and he's all about his electronics. I've never seen an elk killed from a computer terminal or from a smart phone screen. If he wants to fill his elk tag he needs to be in elk country from sun up til sun down. There is no other plan that works consistently and that is exactly what i told him.

By the way TX, I've personally killed 25 elk and have been in on the taking of more than 100 others. When you can top those #s then maybe I'll consider your viewpoint worth considering.
LOL. Didn't say your post was wrong, just that is was without tact, as evidenced by the OP getting his nose out of joint. It was him who screwed up. Anyone seeking advice/info on the internet is cutting their own throat to get mad at a response that he doesn't like. Personally, I go hunting partly to get away from technology, so taking a computer on a hunt or even surfing on a phone while hunting is absolutely counterproductive to my hunt and the reason I am there. It can also cost you game.

As to whether or not you consider my viewpoint worth considering, I couldn't care less. This is after all, the internet. I am 58 and have hunted elk most years since I was in my late 20s, mostly muzzleloading, but have also hunted them with a bow and rifle. That is probably the only time you will hear me give my resume. I have made a TON of mistakes and have taken my share of elk. I just tell people what I have learned and let them decide how much truth is in it. Worried about your opinion?...........

Last edited by txhunter58; 10-02-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 AM
Fork Horn

There is some rough country up there. A guy by himself that maybe didn't have the time to get there habits scouted out up there. Could be in for a lot of work. Good luck
Old 10-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by younggun308
That would not be a correct assumption; what I said was based on a single conversation I had with a South African hunter who hunts with his son in the bush.
My bet is he was pulling your leg. RSA is the most industrialized and civilized country in Africa and there is very little really wild country there and even less free ranging dangerous game. With the exception of the areas around Kruger most hunting is on big blocks of private land that also do some livestock operations. Leopard and hyena aren't tolerated. So based on personal experience hunting RSA twice, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Cameroon I'd say the guy was trying to impress you.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default Elk Idaho 67

Hey. Hunting this unit this year. Interested in any info or insight. Pm me!