HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Flying with a gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/406815-flying-gun.html)

Deerhunter724 05-27-2016 08:19 PM

Flying with a gun

Was just wondering if anybody has taken a rifle on Southwest Airlines. It says a gun can count as one of your free "checked bags" but it also says that max size of checked bags is 62 inches "Length x Width x Height. Well all of my gun cases are over 62 inches most of them 65-66 inches. Just wondering if anybody has dealt with something like this. Thanks

BRUSE 05-28-2016 04:02 AM

I've flown with southwest. I used a pelican 1750 case for my rifle. Just check in early and have ammo separate from your gun in factory boxes and you'll be good to go. Once they verified the weapon was unloaded and we put the form I signed in the case I locked it back and they passed it onto baggage. It arrived with me and no issues. Good luck on your trip

Deerhunter724 05-28-2016 02:45 PM

Did they charge you extra or was it free? It says anything over 62 total inches will be charged a $75 fee.

Oldtimr 05-28-2016 03:32 PM

I would be more worried about the things I read baggage handlers do to obvious gun cases than paying extra to ship the gun. I made up my mind a long time ago, anywhere I hunt in the US, I will drive.

Topgun 3006 05-28-2016 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4260203)
I would be more worried about the things I read baggage handlers do to obvious gun cases than paying extra to ship the gun. I made up my mind a long time ago, anywhere I hunt in the US, I will drive.

I'm with you on that one and I also don't trust anyone but myself with any of my firearms. Being retired helps in that I have plenty of time to drive wherever I hunt and not have to worry. People that have to fly just have to take the chance things will be safe and arrive on time, but if I was shipping any firearm there would darn sure be plenty of insurance on it just in case to at least cover the monetary loss.

BRUSE 05-28-2016 04:00 PM

It was free and m gun made it safely but I did gave a really good case. I did get a scare once I was flying to Utah to hunt and my flight was cancelled due t weather. I got another flight as a stand by and didn't get on but my gun and luggage did. I arrived 8 hours later and the baggage claim people collected my bags and gun and had them waiting for me. Just make sure you keep your keys. If they want to open the case they will call you to come open it.

mrbb 05-29-2016 07:53 AM

I agree any time I hunt in the usa I prefer to drive, not only feel better about things NOT getting worked over maybe by some anti gun nut?
but allows me to bring more things with me , than flying ever would , without a ton of added costs and work.
But when I hunt in Canada or AK,, that hasn't been an option due to time frame issue's and well, AK< isn't the easiest to drive to LOL
on all my trips SO far, haven't had a single issue on gun case looking like its seen any damage
BUT twice going to Alberta, I had my gun shipped to a different destination,(once gun was sent to Texas, and once Utah)
could never get direct flights either time.
and YES Both times I paid extra for added bag, BUT I also had 3 bags, so think One of them could have been a gun for free

I Highly recommend flying in at least a day before you plan to head to your destination
as both times I had my guns some what miss shipped, it took 10-20 hrs for them to get them back to me.
and NO< airline's are NOT responsible if your bags get missed shipped, in, that if your on a guided hunt, they DON"T pay for any possible down time or lost funds on your hunt.

SO< I always fly into a hunt planning to stay near airport first night there? Just in case, as MOST places will get you, your lost bags/guns, in 24 hrs or less.

and YES I have also had bags go MIA at final destination, NOT Just my guns.
I used to fly a bunch, so?/
it happens and more than you think!

a second note I NEVER get to air port TOO early to check in, due to experiences I have had
I have a few times doing this, had bags NOT make it onto a plane, as they seem to load things, in the back order of when they get checked in, as in , First checked in, goes in plane LAST, if they run out of room, your bags DON"T make it on THAT plane!

I now wait till I see a few folks check in before I make the attempt, and TRY and sit near a window where I can watch them LOAD the plane, haven't had an issue since doing it this way!!

Champlain Islander 05-29-2016 02:05 PM

I have hunted Colorado for muleys and elk for the last 10 years and we always drove. Last year because of one of my partners time constraints we flew but had a friend drive the gear and guns out since he was driving. The rental was a disaster with poor tires and multiple flats which cost us hunting time and it taught me that something as serious as hunting you have to keep as much control over your destiny as possible. Once when my brother who was in the navy and coming home to hunt VT he plew with his gun. He got to camp and when he opened his Kevlar case the scope was bent from the eye piece down to the stock. Someone had to put that case into some hydraulics to bend it while it was still in the case. I would never bring a gun on an airline.

Brandon_SPC 06-02-2016 05:37 PM

Also flying with such important equipment do yourself a favor and get yourself a GPS and put it in there with the case to your firearm.... So when the Airline says we can't find it you can pull it up on your phone and say "Here is my luggage" could save you a few days... It worked with me on TA50 equipment when going on the training for my unit. But to be honest in the lower 48 if you are hunting I drive especially if I friend goes with you. Cheaper and equipment is secure plus it is cool driving through other states and seeing the other scenery.

Something like this (I use this $40):

CalHunter 06-02-2016 07:46 PM

I agree. I drive also. It's a lot more comfortable and you don't have to be frisked in the TSA line. I don't have credit cards that provide air miles so it works out well.