Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

montana unit 316

Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Spike

Default montana unit 316

hello, going on my first ever elf hunt in montana was looking at going to unit 316 on a backcounrty early rifle season hunt and was looking for so info on the unit
Old 05-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're going to want to hunt as far North as possible if you are hunting elf...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

It is rugged, steep, elk are there, but you will need to work hard to get at them, early in the year either sex can be taken. The weather can be bad even in September, though it will probably be decent. There are a few outfitters in this area. Not sure where you plan to go in from. I am sure you must have some wilderness experience if you are going hunting here, can be very unpredictable. Should provide wonderful memories. Montana has instituted a 'Shoulder Season" for a lot of districts, these are on PRIVATE LAND , allow the taking of cow elk, seasons are very long and start August 15, in the area I hunt you can hunt till Jan. 1, they even allow you to hunt with a rifle during archery season for a cow. This might be something to consider for you also, even though 316 does not have a shoulder season.

Last edited by mthusker; 05-22-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Spike

Think we are coming in from the boulder pass side. Yeah I know it's going to be a tough hunt but that's what I'm looking froward to.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe in Rivendell, Middle Earth, I here Elfs are there.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

I hope you have horses or access to them. Access into 316 is mostly by long, steep trails that are only open to foot and horse travel. A bull elk can yield over 400 pounds of meat, cape and horns.

Years go I killed a couple of bull elk in the west side of 316. I went in from Jardine. I had horses then, and each horse could pack 1/2 an elk.

The wolves that the US Fish and Wildlife Service and the Yellowstone Park Service put in that area have greatly reduced that once great elk herd. If you do go in there be sure to buy a wolf tag or two.

There is also a healthy population of grizzlies in that area, so be sure to keep a clean camp and hang your food and any meat that you kill out of their reach.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Horses are not needed,you can and i have, beat the guys on horses up the mountain,in fact, i've left guys on horses in the dust! Have fun, use your muscles, go hunt Elk,quarter, pack it down, it's good times.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gjersy
Horses are not needed,you can and i have, beat the guys on horses up the mountain,in fact, i've left guys on horses in the dust! Have fun, use your muscles, go hunt Elk,quarter, pack it down, it's good times.
The OP might want to listen to advice from folks who actually live and know this part of Montana. A archery hunter almost 2 years ago died in the Crazy Mountains , last I heard they never found his body, just belongings, from a member of search and rescue I know, he began to shed gear and clothing, common among hypothermia cases. The old saying goes.....prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I hunt just north of there near Big Timber, but I see quite a few hunters keep heading south up into the mountains, mainly with horses. Like I and another member have said, steep rugged country, enjoy!
Old 05-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey mthusker i hope the op listens to advice, if he has the patience & money to hunt with horses great. My Mom has raised horses for 50 years, thus i was raised around horses, i broke trained bred & hunted around them. I don't care to hunt with them they slow me down. As far as getting lost, hurt or getting hypothermia you bet it can happen.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default Montana unit 316

Originally Posted by gjersy
So how many elk have you packed out of 316? Have you ever even hunted in 316?

A hind quarter of a 5 point bull elk weighs 85 pounds, + or -. Six point bulls usually weigh more, and smaller bulls and cows are less. I'd love to see you put an 85 pound elk quarter on your back, pack it 5-10 miles out of the AB Wilderness, then turn around and walk back in for the 2nd quarter, then the 3rd, the 4th, then go back in and pack out your camp...all the while leaving horses in your dust.

I've been in Unit 316 many times. I've backpacked in there, I've been on horseback there. I've killed elk in there. I've backpacked elk out, and I've packed elk out on horses.

Given a choice, I'd choose horses every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.