Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

montana unit 316

Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Spike

Lots of good advice here. Don't forget to bring bear spray, bear-proof food storage and maybe a sidearm...just in case the grizzlies decide to visit you.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

The missing hunter I mentioned earlier is this thread in the Crazy Mountains, sounds like they found human remains, thinking it could be his, some comfort to his family I am sure....
Old 09-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Just wondering if the OP made your arrangements yet or were you out opening weekend? Like a few of us said, it is very unpredictable area....they closed Beartooth highway this weekend because of snow and ice, had rain most the weekend to the north of there in Big Timber area, so I am sure up top they had quite a bit of snow and cold. Let us know , thanks.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

He hasn't been on the site since May. It would be nice to have an update though.
-Jake
Old 09-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Not to rob the thread but I just moved to eastern Montana a month ago. I am trying to plan an archery elk hunt for 2017. You fellers seem to have "been there, done that " so where does a young guy like me start. I want to pick a decent area right right off the bat and try to fine tune over the next decade or so.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
Not to rob the thread but I just moved to eastern Montana a month ago. I am trying to plan an archery elk hunt for 2017. You fellers seem to have "been there, done that " so where does a young guy like me start. I want to pick a decent area right right off the bat and try to fine tune over the next decade or so.
Welcome to Montana. A lot of folks, from eastern Montana, and a whole lot of other places like hunting the Missouri breaks, permits are limited, very, very tough to get a rifle tag, bow tags are a lot more attainable. Have you checked out the regulations book, shows all the districts and what requirements are as far as general season vs. special draw tags. Are there areas you have thought about hunting, Montana is a large area, with different types of typography. Do your best to make connections!

Last edited by mthusker; 09-08-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to try the south western part of the state, talked to a few people about ft.peck and the breaks but it just doesn't seem too appealing to me. I just received the regional maps and I can't seem to keep my eyes off of region 3. Travel is not as important to as a quality area where I can get away from the crowds. I plan on a pack style week long archery hunt next fall. A few areas that look good to me are 331/332, 324,310. But I have never been any further west than billings so I am just looking for some good advice from someone who knows the area.