Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

why over pay

Old 02-10-2016, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have a method that makes it easier. I get up at 4am every day of the year. Once your body adjust to it, it's easy.

Guides may do the same thing.
We all know you're a stud Pete, LOL! My buddy in Wyoming is the same way as you are. Up at 4:30AM dang near every day of the year to head for work or out to hunt. It will be interesting now that he just retired in November to see if he continues that schedule even though he won't be working any more. All I can say is that the older I get the more I hate early morning wakeups.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-10-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Smitty,

You don't have the right job. I was an auto mechanic for the first 25 years of my working career. We worked flat rate. Every job had a time it should take to do. If I did a job that should take 5 hours to do, and I did it in 3 hours. I still get paid the 5 hours for that job.

A lot of jobs are like that. UPS is one. They know how long it takes to deliver a package. If a driver takes 12 hours of packages and does it in 8 hours they get paid for the 12 hours. That's why those guys are always moving fast.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for a hunt, but lots of guys do it and it's their business to do as they please. The guides have set the rates and if you sign up just pay and be happy you got game early. It's better than doing the whole hunt and getting nothing. Then you'd really feel cheated.
That is for sure Muley Hunter I am definitely in the wrong line of work. But I have been doing this for 31 years now and stuck in a rut.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
We all know you're a stud Pete, LOL! My buddy in Wyoming is the same way as you are. Up at 4:30AM dang near every day of the year to head for work or out to hunt. It will be interesting now that he just retired in November to see if he continues that schedule even though he won't be working any more. All I can say is that the older I get the more I hate early morning wakeups.
I find the older I get the less sleep I need. I couldn't sleep in if I wanted to. I've tried. I don't even own an alarm clock. At 4am my eyes pop open.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Let me throw another question in on the tipping aspect. I recently did an elk hunt where I didn't draw a tag and had to pay the outfitter additional for the landowner voucher. Should I base my tip to the guide on the total amount paid the outfitter or the amount that I would have paid if I would have drawn the state tag?
Old 02-18-2016, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thought would be the cost of the hunt, not including the tag. That's what you normally tip on, the hunt cost.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
My thought would be the cost of the hunt, not including the tag. That's what you normally tip on, the hunt cost.
+1 It's based on the service provided, not the tag cost.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default tip cost

OK guys you pulled me back in, so are you guys that use outfitters really tipping using a percentage ratio ? and what percent ratio are you using ?
Old 02-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by smitty0538
OK guys you pulled me back in, so are you guys that use outfitters really tipping using a percentage ratio ? and what percent ratio are you using ?
There is no really set percentage that I'm aware of. It's all up to the financial ability of each individual and how they feel the guide did to provide a good hunt. I read one guide say that he really respected one of his clients that had scrimped for a long time to pay for a hunt he was on and couldn't give much of a tip. However, the guide said he received a gracious letter from the guy thanking him for the hunt and about how much that hunt meant to him. He said it warmed his heart and put a tear in his eye because the letter was much more than any money he received from clients that had plenty of money to spend.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
There is no really set percentage that I'm aware of. It's all up to the financial ability of each individual and how they feel the guide did to provide a good hunt. I read one guide say that he really respected one of his clients that had scrimped for a long time to pay for a hunt he was on and couldn't give much of a tip. However, the guide said he received a gracious letter from the guy thanking him for the hunt and about how much that hunt meant to him. He said it warmed his heart and put a tear in his eye because the letter was much more than any money he received from clients that had plenty of money to spend.
OK that being said it should not be based on what the outfitter charges for the hunt or what the tags cost. If you have a great experience tip what you feel is fair and if you have a lousy experience no tip. and somewhere in the middle for an in between experience. I would agree to that logic. As far as for that letter it sounds to me that guide is a pretty decent guy.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by smitty0538
Standard is 15% on cheaper trips, and 10% on a high-end trip. Obviously more if you felt the guide went above & beyond, and less if you think they slacked off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.