Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

looking for an elk hunt

Old 01-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Spike

Default looking for an elk hunt

I know this is a long shot but I was hoping someone would be willing to share some information. I am trying to find a decent location to go on a public land elk hunt with my son and actually see some elk. The state does not matter to us as we have no preference points for any state. I understand that is a disadvantage because the more points you have the better units you get into but we just do not have any. We are capable of using any weapon. We are not searching for the biggest bulls in the mountains just legal size in that particular unit. So if someone can point me in a direction I would appreciate it, Either a unit that has decent numbers of elk that a guy has a decent chance of drawing a tag or decent otc unit that has elk. I understand Colorado has a lot of public hunting but that is a big state and not all units have good numbers of elk. Also would like to avoid the weekend tree peepers, atv riders kind of people that can ruin a guys elk hunt.

Keith
Old 01-08-2016, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't pick Colorado with your requirements.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

With no PPs in any state, about the only states I can think of that have OTC elk licenses for hunts on public land are ID and CO. You're probably not going to get away from crowds or meet any of the other requirements you mentioned anywhere out west any more on public land, especially if you've never even hunted elk before. You need to realize that what you're asking for is probably going to require spending a considerable amount of money to get a landowner tag and go on a semi-guided or guided hunt in a state that has those tags available. CO, UT, and NM are several states that I can think of right off the top of my head where I'd start looking.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Spike

I guess I should have mentioned We have hunted elk 2 years in a row now, Both years were in Colorado. the unit was just not good for seeing elk at any distance. Saw plenty of mule deer and antelope just not elk. I do understand I will see other hunters, Would just like to avoid non hunters out looking at the aspens and noisy atv riders.

Last edited by smitty0538; 01-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might also want to mention what season and unit you hunted.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Spike

drew muzzloader tags in unit 50
Old 01-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

You've got some experience in CO already. CO has allot of OTC units and has decent(good) elk numbers in many of them. Maybe you just need to change units or change where you hunt. Elk hunting is not easy like setting up on a corn field for deer. You need to go find the animals, and be able to find them during season. I would keep at it if I were you, you'll get it done eventually.
-Jake
Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay in Colorado and try units South of where you hunt. Look up information about units that you can draw that have unit numbers that begin with a 7 or an 8. Pick a unit and hunt the same unit for a couple of seasons to learn how to hunt it. Some of the units have good hunting spots for the public but private land makes is difficult to find them. In those units nobody is going to help you much. The high and rough units take legs and lungs to get away from the other orange vests but if you want it badly enough there is good hunting.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Spike

thank you big uncle,that's what we are looking for advise on which units are the decent ones with no pp's . we are definitely not giving up. We hiked between 3 to 10 miles every day. Not afraid to hike in in order to get the job done. Problem is not sure how many years I will be able to do that. We have learned a lot in 2 years and one thing for sure is we need a different unit. We ran into a guy last year in unit 50 who guided for many years in Colorado. and he told me that unit 50 was one of the toughest units to hunt in the state because of low numbers of elk vs the number of people who chase them. Then add atv riders and tree peepers he said its pretty hard to be successful there.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's the problem with no point units. There's a reason units don't require any points.

Any unit with good elk numbers, and isn't crowded doesn't exist in Colorado with no points.

You'd be better off with an OTC tag. Lots of units to choose from, and at least you see elk. Even if you're not alone doing it. A lot of times the other hunters will help you by driving the elk in your direction. It's a better choice than having solitude, and no elk.

OTC of course is rifle seasons, but you can use your muzzleloaders if you want to, and you'll have no restrictions. meaning you can use sabots and scopes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.