Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

here' s a big bear

Old 10-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: here' s a big bear

Heres the info of the bear on the boone and crockett page.

World' s Record Grizzly
August 28, 2003
The winner for the most inquiries to TrophyWatch has to be the rumors flying around about this bear. We can’t count the number of people who have sent TW this photos and an ever-changing story. Once we started receiving attachments of the man this bear was supposed to have feed on we thought it was time to report the facts, as we know them:

Not a grizzly, but a brown bear
Did not kill and eat anyone
Wasn' t 12.5" and 1600 pounds - squared 10.5'
Was shot legally with a .338, not a 7mm, 9mm or .500 Nitro
Didn' t charge a forest ranger
Was shot by a USAF airman
Not a new World' s Record (brown or grizzly)

The Official Entry Score is 28-14/16 – still a big bear

Old 10-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Here is the official story from reylamb' s link. I' ve been seeing different stories on here and huntamerica.com for about a year and a half now...

In real life, the big grizzly measured 10' 6" from nose to tail and weighed in at an estimated 1,000 to 1,200 pounds — unusually large for the vicinity, says the USDA Forest Service, but not quite a world record, nor even an Alaskan record. It was killed on October 14, 2001 by U.S. Air Force Airman Theodore Winnen on Hinchinbrook Island, Prince William Sound. The photos were taken by his hunting partner, Staff Sgt. James Urban. Both were stationed at the nearby Eielson Air Force Base at the time.

Though the bear was within 10 yards of the hunters' position and moving towards them when he fired the first shot, Winnen says, it did not charge them, contrary to what the email claims. " I don' t know if the wind was in our favor or what," he told the Anchorage Daily News. " We were dressed in camouflage. He might not have seen us." Winnen' s weapon was a 338-caliber Winchester Magnum, not a 7mm semi-automatic as alleged. The first bullet pierced the bear' s brain but left it standing; five more in the chest finally brought it down.

Was the bear a man-eater, as claimed in the email? No, says the Forest Service, there is no evidence of that. When asked by the Anchorage Daily News to comment on the horrific image of what appears to be a partially-eaten human victim, spokesman Ray Massey admitted he hadn' t even looked at it. " I didn' t want to see a photo of the body," he said. " I know it' s bogus."

Old 10-21-2003, 09:29 AM

I agree with stubble jumper, the bear keeps growing and has been dead over a year how is that possible and has gained weight also, there is always something different every time i hear this story, Its under the urban legends web site, but is still a magnificent animal
Old 10-24-2003, 08:53 PM

HATE TO WALK UP ON HIM AT NIGHT!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 03:55 PM

i walked up on this old boy in korea, all he did was look at me

Old 10-29-2003, 05:46 PM

I think if i saw that bear I would first soil my self, second shudder, and third shoot it. I agree with a few other people. The bear was only 10 foot 6 and 1000-1200 pounds. Not the biggest ever, but huge.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:36 PM

massive bear, if it were me id definately have to be changeing me drawers, after hopefully killing it. wouldnt want it comeing after me thats for sure!!! it would be a definate heart pounding experiance.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:44 PM

I dont think it matters what the story was, that bear in the pictues is huge. I think if it had confronted me i would of needing alot of charmin. That was a big bear and if it was as close as you say that took some serious guts, guts alot of us dont have.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

just the facts man just the facts []
Old 11-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

deer hunting. A large grizzly bear
charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag
Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. The bear was over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder,
14' to the top of his head. It' s the largest grizzly bear ever
recorded in the world, ( I know from what i have read that this is no a grizz brown which live on the coastal areas big real big didn' t see where the original storie came from I love bear stories..wanna know more about this one )

Quick Reply: here' s a big bear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.