HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Non-magnum lovers...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/402894-non-magnum-lovers.html)

Sheridan 11-28-2015 12:27 AM


Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4230486)
Muzzleloader is a round ball shooter most of the time for me. So, I like the .54 cal. Still pretty weak compared to the 30-30.

I just bought an older Marlin 30-30 to use hunting. I feel a little safer with a backup shot for bear since i'm an old fart who hunts alone, and we can't use bait, or dogs. On the ground face to face is fun stuff.

I'll use it for deer and elk too. Use a peep sight, and keep shots under 75yds.


I'm all good with that Pete ! :lmao:

I use a Marlin .35 levergun (iron sights also) with a Ruger .357 as my sidearm, if I think I might find myself in a tough spot !!!

Game Stalker 11-28-2015 03:05 AM


Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 4230052)
.......
When do I need say a .300 win mag/wsm over a .270 for elk?

Also thinking a 6.5lbs 270 sounds more fun than a .300wsm 6.5-7.5lbs rifle.

Elevation is also a major factor when considering posts of this nature. Higher elevations can considerably improve a given calibers performance when compared to sea level. One reason answers can vary depending on where you are in the country.

super_hunt54 11-28-2015 06:40 AM


Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4230500)
I thought you liked LR hunting ??

Each to their own (better rifle ?)- right ?!1?

If a .50 cal can't kill'em you better get yourself a mechanical broad-head............ that should make for a big wound channel !!!

Those are non- magnums .................... Arn't they ??

Uhhhh ME? Like long range hunting? You may want to go look at the long range hunting post of RR's and read again Sher. And you couldn't pour me onto a mechanical BH. I use G5 Montechs and Slick Trick standards. Have since they came out. And my little .30-30 and .444 marlin have taken literally tons of whitetail, Elk, and Moose.

Mr. Slim 11-28-2015 09:14 AM

I own a magnum rifle but all but retired it. 300 H&H mag. not that I don't like it, it just got too heavy to carry and I'm getting older and prefer something lighted. use a Remington 700 30-06 now. will not get rid of the H&H as ive owned it for too many years. also got a 243 for groundhogs. its a varmit rifle with a heavy barrel.

CalHunter 11-28-2015 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4230447)
I honestly wonder why people feel the need for Magnum cartridges for Elk and Moose. I've taken several of both with .30-06 and the little ole 30-30, .444, MLer, 7mm.08 (Elk not Moose, I aint stupid) and have never felt the need to have a magnum cartridge. Have I used them? Yep, .300 WM has taken a few for me but I really just didn't NEED the extra range it afforded. .30-06 will do the same job out to 400 yards that a .300 WM will and do it with less recoil and cost. Less recoil and cost= more range time to get really good with what you are shooting. THAT my friends is the most important thing there is. PLACEMENT. Cal, you could use just a .338-06 and have the same results out to 350 yards as that .338WM will. You don't shoot past that often if I recall correctly. And Brownies aren't bullet proof folks and they are just as easily downed as an Elk. Good bullet combined with good placement= dead Brownie. If you are carrying something for defense against a Brown and not hunting it, then a good 12 gauge with slug,00buck,slug,00buck,slug loaded up in the magazine is about as good a defense as one could have. I carry a 4 inch .500 S&W but I don't recommend that to most. I have vast amounts of practice with handguns and can hit that "bouncing tennis ball" sized target under pressure.

Magnum cartridges don't make up for poor target placement no matter what the manufacturers and "professionals" say. And they won't make up for range time to make you a long range shooter either.

I agree on placement being the key. I don't seem to suffer from recoil issues, as least not with my 338. But then, I remember shooting a couple hundred 12 gauge rounds at the range one day, all of them either slug or buckshot. I don't begrudge anybody using a smaller or non-magnum caliber as long as they are cleanly killing the animal. For me, I really like that 338WM with a nice 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It shoots well for me and does the job well too. I figure all those griz and brown bear guides in AK that prefer the 338 can't all be wrong. :s4:

On deer and antelope, I prefer my old 270 although I plan on trying the wife's 243 and maybe a 25-06 and 7mm-08 just cause. It's always fun to try new things but I don't see my gun safe ever not having a 338. :fighting0007:

Muley Hunter 11-28-2015 12:29 PM

Be honest Cal. You always wanted to be Clint Eastwood, and shoot big magnums.

coolbrze0 11-29-2015 03:49 AM


Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4230600)
I agree on placement being the key. I don't seem to suffer from recoil issues, as least not with my 338. But then, I remember shooting a couple hundred 12 gauge rounds at the range one day, all of them either slug or buckshot. I don't begrudge anybody using a smaller or non-magnum caliber as long as they are cleanly killing the animal. For me, I really like that 338WM with a nice 250 grain Nosler Partition bullet. It shoots well for me and does the job well too. I figure all those griz and brown bear guides in AK that prefer the 338 can't all be wrong. :s4:

On deer and antelope, I prefer my old 270 although I plan on trying the wife's 243 and maybe a 25-06 and 7mm-08 just cause. It's always fun to try new things but I don't see my gun safe ever not having a 338. :fighting0007:

Agreed on the .338WM, have taken a 10' brown bear, an elk, & 2 mulies w/ it (the only rifle I had on both elk hunts). It does kick a little but for the limited times I'm shooting it, what the heck. Gotta love the .270/.30-06, etc. for whitetail & similar size game. It all comes down to shot placement 1st & matching bullet construction for the game you're hunting 2nd.

Sgt Recoil 11-29-2015 12:43 PM

I'm on my 2nd .280 Rem. 1st was a TC Prohunter and currently shooting a Browning Xbolt.
I like the .280 so much that I'm building a Savage 280 AI with a McGowen barrel.

I've had magnums but seems every moose, elk or deer I shot it was'nt required.

CalHunter 11-29-2015 02:52 PM


Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4230622)
Be honest Cal. You always wanted to be Clint Eastwood, and shoot big magnums.

He had better hair and makes more money but I'm very happy where I'm at. The 12 gauge was a department gun on a range day (I was one of the rangemasters). We were there all day and nobody showed up to qualify. Seemed a shame to waste all of that time without practicing some with the shotguns and pistols. :s4:

Exophysical 11-30-2015 04:22 AM


Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4230447)
I honestly wonder why people feel the need for Magnum cartridges for Elk and Moose. I've taken several of both with .30-06 and the little ole 30-30, .444, MLer, 7mm.08 (Elk not Moose, I aint stupid) and have never felt the need to have a magnum cartridge. Have I used them? Yep, .300 WM has taken a few for me but I really just didn't NEED the extra range it afforded. .30-06 will do the same job out to 400 yards that a .300 WM will and do it with less recoil and cost. Less recoil and cost= more range time to get really good with what you are shooting. THAT my friends is the most important thing there is. PLACEMENT. Cal, you could use just a .338-06 and have the same results out to 350 yards as that .338WM will. You don't shoot past that often if I recall correctly. And Brownies aren't bullet proof folks and they are just as easily downed as an Elk. Good bullet combined with good placement= dead Brownie. If you are carrying something for defense against a Brown and not hunting it, then a good 12 gauge with slug,00buck,slug,00buck,slug loaded up in the magazine is about as good a defense as one could have. I carry a 4 inch .500 S&W but I don't recommend that to most. I have vast amounts of practice with handguns and can hit that "bouncing tennis ball" sized target under pressure.

Magnum cartridges don't make up for poor target placement no matter what the manufacturers and "professionals" say. And they won't make up for range time to make you a long range shooter either.

Just curious about that statement and what you mean by it? Here in the heart of moose country all of the rounds that you listed are commonly used for moose. IMO moose are easyer to kill than elk, they are a big heavy animal but they usually lay down pretty quick and unless you go bump them before they die that's where they stay.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.