HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Non-magnum lovers...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/402894-non-magnum-lovers.html)

Valentine 01-27-2016 05:37 AM

Non-magnum lovers

'Cause non-magnum hunters started out with non-magnum rifle and could shoot straight.

Muley Hunter 01-27-2016 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Game Stalker (Post 4240244)
Welcome to the board, Hesp. I've often considered the success old timers were having w/cartridges that were less capable than the magnums prevalent today. Marketing no doubt played a big part in the magnum perspective. On the plus side, todays better bullets give new life and potential to standard class rounds that is quite amazing.

The Nosler Partition has been around for over 60 years. There never was a need for magnums.

Topgun 3006 01-27-2016 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4242168)
The Nosler Partition has been around for over 60 years. There never was a need for magnums.

In actuality the only thing that magnums do is allow a person to stretch the distance to take a particular animal. Sometimes they may be necessary for another reason, such as using one for dangerous game and/or it's legally required, but for the most part when the distance can be closed the need for a magnum is completely negated.

Game Stalker 01-27-2016 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4242168)

I am quite familiar w/the reputation the partition had and the fact that it still remains an exceptional choice. As part of my previous statement, one must consider how current bonded core bullets and monolithic bullets have become so prevalent from the major manufacturers. Powder and premium bullet choices have increased dramatically since the design of the partition and traditional heavy for caliber cup and core bullets.

Muley Hunter 01-27-2016 08:00 AM

If a hunter needs to get closer than 30-06 range. They need to work on their hunting skills.

Wanting to shoot longer, and needed to, are two different things.

buffybr 01-27-2016 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4242185)
If a hunter needs to get closer than 30-06 range. They need to work on their hunting skills.

Wanting to shoot longer, and needed to, are two different things.

I won't argue with you on that Pete.

The last animal that I shot with my .300 Weatherby was all of 50 yards away.:)

Muley Hunter 01-27-2016 09:52 AM

I approve of the range. :party0005:

gjersy 01-27-2016 02:14 PM

Non magnums are awesome!! However i like magnums better, my .300 RUM gets every game i hunt right through the heart/lung area, 20 yards through 570?. They're a very accurate round, it's all good, mag's are kinda, sorta, better.....