Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY pronghorn hunts

Old 12-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
could someone educate me on what im looking at on this map ?

this is unit 7

the blue is state land and open for hunting

i think the green is national forest land and open for hunting, but not sure if im reading the colors correctly.

what is the red?

thanks for any help
The red (actually pink) represents the Thunder Basin National Grass Lands on that map and they are open for hunting, but camping is getting more restrictive on them and now you normally have to be very close to a marked road where in the past you could go back in and camp on two tracks.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
The red (actually pink) represents the Thunder Basin National Grass Lands on that map and they are open for hunting, but camping is getting more restrictive on them and now you normally have to be very close to a marked road where in the past you could go back in and camp on two tracks.
maybe i should be looking into this unit more seeing it has quite a big of public lands

Last edited by bikerman9967; 12-01-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
maybe i should be looking into this unit more seeing it has quite a big of public lands
Unit 7 also has approximately 20,000 acres of private lands that are enrolled in the Walk In Hunting Access program for antelope hunting. All you have to do is go into the public access section on the G&F website and then click on Weston County over on the left side of the page. It has all the areas shown in pink by number on 4 different maps with the amount of acres available for each area. All you have to do is have the proper tags and Conservation Stamp, park at the perimeter signed areas, and go hunting with no other paperwork or access permits necessary. If you have 1PP and want to hunt next year, I would seriously think about putting in for unit 7 in the Regular Draw and you should get the tag based on previous years stats.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Unit 7 also has approximately 20,000 acres of private lands that are enrolled in the Walk In Hunting Access program for antelope hunting. All you have to do is go into the public access section on the G&F website and then click on Weston County over on the left side of the page. It has all the areas shown in pink by number on 4 different maps with the amount of acres available for each area. All you have to do is have the proper tags and Conservation Stamp, park at the perimeter signed areas, and go hunting with no other paperwork or access permits necessary. If you have 1PP and want to hunt next year, I would seriously think about putting in for unit 7 in the Regular Draw and you should get the tag based on previous years stats.
thank you for the help. I was looking at the walk in access yesterday for this unit And realized how much land is availible in it. It also had a fairly low tag quota compared to other 1pp units so it may not be as crowded as other spots