Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
shoot or wait for friends to arrive >

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

With lack of facts, I can't believe this conversation is still going on
Old 11-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If that ever happened to me,I would of had to have $3000 worth of Rum & Coke for my adventure...
Old 11-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reminds me of the doe party permits in NY. Depending on the unit you needed 3-4 licenses to get one permit.
Never heard of that with moose.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

More than half of the zones in Ontario, it takes 12 or more people in a group to get a guarantee for one adult moose tag. Calves are automatic with any licence purchase.
I haven't gone in few years. I was in a group of 6 with some older guy's from my deer camp. The main guy passed away and the other older guy's can't rough it anymore. I did get 2 bulls in the 5 years I went. I'll keep applying with two of my buddies or maybe well start doing the 15 to 25 hour drive north where it is easier to get a tag. I can't afford to go to an outfitter where your group tag is given.
I regularly see a Cow at our deer camp but can't get a tag for her. Don't want to book a week off work for a calf.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh heck, take the shot. If it's a group that's hunted together long, then the shooter should know what kind of grief he'll get from it.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DJfan
I agree. Something doesn't add up here. Still, there is great fishing up there!
ditto. I couldn't agree more
Old 12-07-2015, 04:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
More than half of the zones in Ontario, it takes 12 or more people in a group to get a guarantee for one adult moose tag. Calves are automatic with any licence purchase.
I haven't gone in few years. I was in a group of 6 with some older guy's from my deer camp. The main guy passed away and the other older guy's can't rough it anymore. I did get 2 bulls in the 5 years I went. I'll keep applying with two of my buddies or maybe well start doing the 15 to 25 hour drive north where it is easier to get a tag. I can't afford to go to an outfitter where your group tag is given.
I regularly see a Cow at our deer camp but can't get a tag for her. Don't want to book a week off work for a calf.
Does the Ontario draw system work on a priority system or is it a lotto? I'm from Alberta and most of my moose hunts involved me and one other hunter partnered on one moose tag. Usually me and the partner alternate so the tags are drawn and shared in half as many years, or one hunter draws easy tags in crappy zones while the other saves up priority for a better hunt.

I think if a partner was to shoot a bull while I was still loading the canoe or driving to the meeting point I would applaud his good luck, take my half and butcher it, and then go hunting for something else during my time off.

I live up north where wolves and reserves are plentiful and the moose hunting is lean. Up here only bull tags can be drawn, its sort of been ingrained into me that shooting cows is best left to natives and poachers. I understand that many areas can support a cow hunt but old ideals die hard.

Last edited by Exophysical; 12-07-2015 at 04:54 PM.