Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
shoot or wait for friends to arrive >

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

shoot or wait for friends to arrive

Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Actually happened. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
Then the 4 hunters agreeing to pay that much $$$ for one bull moose between them are IDIOTS and they deserved to get scalped in that manner.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Kind of far fetched for sure. I never heard of a hunt like that especially for that $$$. If everything is accurate I know I wouldn't have shot the moose before the other guys in the party arrived and I don't care how large it was. When I hunt with friends and family there is a certain code of conduct that we all abide by. If the story is true then all 4 paid for a hunt and 3 didn't get to hunt. Wrong on all counts.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-21-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Kind of far fetched for sure. I never heard of a hunt like that especially for that $$$. If everything is accurate I know I wouldn't have shot the moose before the other guys in the party arrived and I don't care how large it was. When I hunt with friends and family there is a certain code of conduct that we all abide by. If the story is true then all 4 paid for a hunt and 3 didn't get to hunt. Wrong on all counts.
yeah. and our number 1 code is never share a tag.I will gladly share the meat but never share a tag. it's not even legal to do so here.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Spike

not 100 percent sure but I thought most places you are not allowed to hunt the day you fly in ? hope someone else can say if this is true
Old 11-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BIG TUNA
If it did happen, then it was illegal because you must wait 24 hours after being flown into a spike camp...
Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Out of curiosity, I googled some fly-in rates for Ontario for moose. $3000 per person, seams to be about or below average rate. I figure they paid just over $2000 per person since they were including supplies and travel to the outfitter. For a group of 4, one bull tag and one cow tag, or two bull tags seams to be the norm.

As for having to wait 24 hours after arrival, I have never heard of that up here. The one time I did use an outfitter, it was in northern Quebec for a Caribou hunt. Official check in was 11 am. We arrived at about 6 am, the outfitter office gave us our 2 tags each, and we were hunting before we could even check in. If the season is on and you are given the tag, you are good to go.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
If it did happen, then it was illegal because you must wait 24 hours after being flown into a spike camp...
But I'm sure all the camp "hands" were delighted !!!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
12grand for a moose hunt? for 4 people and only allowed 1 moose? not making sense
RR
Depending on what was brought and how far they were flown in the $3000 could possibly have been for the flights and other transportation. If they were staying at a remote lodge or cabin, using a rented boat those would also add to the cost. Seems a bit steep but I could see it ending up somewhere in that neighborhood. In Ontario people can pool their priority and draw tags as a group, only one animal can be killed. This year I met a guy from Ontario while hunting elk, he told me that in the zone they typically hunt it takes 5-6 hunters worth of priority to draw one tag every year. SO your options are, share a tag or wait 6 years and draw your own.

I tend to think that the exact dollar amount here possibly got a bit exaggerated but the big wide world of hunting the Canadian wilderness can work a bit differently than popping pest deer over crop fields.

Last edited by Exophysical; 11-25-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Then the 4 hunters agreeing to pay that much $$$ for one bull moose between them are IDIOTS and they deserved to get scalped in that manner.
Orrrr... they were residents. The Canadian government is much more interested in keeping the trophys going south, the natives happy, and the non native residents fighting over scraps than preserving our hunting opportunities. I know guys who fly into north eastern Alberta every year because its the only way to hunt moose in a decent zone in their own province without waiting many years to draw a tag. Their cost would be around the $3000 mark, they do generally take more than one bull but I could see things being tougher in Ontario. To one of the hunter's in that group, 3000 in travel fees for 1/4 moose probably seemed better than waiting many years to be drawn around home, or spending significantly more for an out of province hunt which would have to be guided. Not the way I would have done it but I can understand why it happened.

To me the story sounds a bit embellished but believable.

Last edited by Exophysical; 11-25-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.