Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

have a situation

Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default have a situation

my 79 year old mother lives alone, 16 miles away, after work I go to her house and put her winters wood away, cut it one day, split and put away the next.
This morn I dropped off a bag of hulled walnuts she requested, went up after work to split her wood and she informed me that the squirrels had found the bag of walnuts, chewed a hole in it, then helped themselves, then she said the squirrels also upset her metal trash can of sunflower seeds (she's an avid bird feeder) the red flag went up, squirrels don't tip over metal trashcans! she just called and said a bear had come up on her porch after I left, upset her trashcan and was feeding, she hollered at him, he walked off the porch 20' and set down wile mom took her can inside, she yelled at it some more, it walked 30 yards and set down and waited, she said as it got too dark for her to see it was still setting there.
I told her to load her 16 ga. with slugs cause we would be back, should she cap him or do you call someone? what would you do?
RR
Old 11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If memory serves WV is pretty hard on someone shooting a bear unless it is being an immediate danger. At the moment from your explanation of the scene it isn't an immediate threat. Tell her to sit at the door, keep an eye out and if it approaches again, through a slug in it's head and tell the game warden to kiss it! But first she should call the warden right now.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would have already called the game dept to report the bear problem.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

well now in wv, if a bear licks his chops walking by a bee hive, he's a problem bear and is dealt with, he's not relocated, he is hunted down and dispatched, I have no problem with her protecting her property, and I do not believe the DNR would either.
RR
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I'd get her some #8's for the 16 ga. Burn it's butt and it won't be back.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just over one more week and you or her could shoot that bear legally I think....not that you may want to wait that long to take some sort of action. I would probably call the dnr and tell them the situation and see what they advise.....or if you have any local law enforcement friends....I'd think they'd be pretty sympathetic.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
If memory serves WV is pretty hard on someone shooting a bear unless it is being an immediate danger. At the moment from your explanation of the scene it isn't an immediate threat. Tell her to sit at the door, keep an eye out and if it approaches again, through a slug in it's head and tell the game warden to kiss it! But first she should call the warden right now.
right on all accounts, my friend.

also - if one does kill a bear because of an immediate danger, ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 11-13-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Rules 4 & 6--7 Day Ban
Old 11-13-2015, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Couldn't she call the local Sheriff's Department? We used to get those calls a lot when I worked at my Sheriff's Department.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Couldn't she call the local Sheriff's Department? We used to get those calls a lot when I worked at my Sheriff's Department.
Same here. Somethings fishy
Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

she could call, and the results, they would come by talk to her, tell her if it comes back call us, now I'm not gonna tell a woman who has been self dependant for 28 years that she can't do this. but she will not like the hastle involved with reporting it, she was assaulted and robbed years ago by strangers pretending to help her, lost a bit of cash and was deeply embarrassed, she just doesn't want the attention.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.