Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canoe hunt for elk 2015.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
And that my compadres is what it's all about! What a great read and photos the OP shared with us. Congrats and may you have many more hunts like that ahead of you at your young age!
+1

Fantastic job all the way around !

............... and that's why they call it "God's Country" !!!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wasatch Smoke
Couple questions? How long is that Mad River of yours? And what's Corys bullett choice in that .270?

Thanks
The Mad River is a 16' Explorer. Its just big enough to do tandem trips like this. Its about the only 16' canoe with enough capacity and its a decent choice if you also want to do lots of solo paddling. If all your trips will be tandem there are better choices.

Cory was using the Hornady GMX bullets, all three shots were complete pass throughs. At the range he shot that bull I would imagine expansion with the GMX bullets would have been minimal. In my own .270 I have used the 130 and 150 grain Fusion bullets, and the 150 grain Corelokt bullets on moose and elk with good results. Of the 3 the 150 grain Corelocts have had the best terminal performance, followed by the 130 grain Fusions. The 150 grain Fusions, surprisingly, have not performed as well as one would think.

Last edited by Exophysical; 11-14-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Banned

nice! congrats on a job well done
Old 11-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
And that my compadres is what it's all about! What a great read and photos the OP shared with us. Congrats and may you have many more hunts like that ahead of you at your young age!
Thanks, I'm a fair bit older than my partner, but I sure hope there are many more hunts like this in my own future. I've been doing canoe hunts for almost a decade and I can feel age starting to catch up with me. At this point its not to the point where it slows me down too much. Right now its more like putting the spurs to me, it reminds me I wont be able to do this forever so I'd better make the most of every season that I can.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Spike

Great photos and it looks like you really enjoyed that hunt! The first picture is something unbelievable!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like it was a blast. Cant beat the view or end result!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:57 AM
Typical Buck

Now that looks like a ton of fun. Congrats good post.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default like hunting

vary nice story i really like this type of trip i have scene you all pics i feel that you was full enjoying that time. I like hunting and i have never hunt into canoe but i want. I think you are lucky for this i n this pic you canoe is small so how you load Elk in it. Conform is this hou 13 canoe or other
After scene you sorry i decided to go this type of hunting, Kindly tell more about this hunting so i did it with full enjoyment.....?
Is Elk hunting open or not by law.......?
Old 11-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure what's going on there.... But I'll look into it when I get time tonight.

Bump for a great hni post from the past though.
-Jake