Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Hunter survives 4 days alone in Idaho with a broken leg >

Hunter survives 4 days alone in Idaho with a broken leg

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunter survives 4 days alone in Idaho with a broken leg

Old 10-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

What would they have done, Possibly died as many did when they got injured when alone. He crawled for 4 days with a badly broken leg, he was just about done when he was found and that was by accident. We aren;t talking about some guy who parked his truck and went into the wood a couple of hundred yards he was in wilderness, 50 miles from any trails. Perhaps you should read the story before you make bone headed posts.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-15-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by patchnball View Post
A broken leg........gee what would the old time mountain men have done......hurt..sure but NOT life threatening...gee
A broken leg sure CAN be life threatening. Ever heard of compartmental syndrome? Clots? According to the type of break there could be severe arterial damage causing compartmental syndrome or in the case of an exposed break flat out bleeding out. The mountains out west are littered with "old mountain men" bones there bud. They may or may not have been made of "tougher stuff" than folks of todays "cushy" times but they couldn't overcome many of the things that can come with a broken leg bone.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:04 AM
Spike

Oldtimr.....maybe you ought to read what you wrote before disparaging someone. NO where does your story tell of more than a BADLY broken leg bones. Back in the day there were no atv's, autos, wheeled vehicles or parking lots. At most a mountain man would have a horse. 50 miles back in.......shoot it was ALL back in at that time. WE today don't know how to survive for any length of time....no cell phone service....gee. They didn't have them back then either. 4 days.... dehydrated and about done. Those boys lived off the land. Maybe get to town a couple times a year.
WE are very cushy people. With all the new tec gear a hunter has at his disposal one should be able to survive months, years in the wild EVEN with minor injury such as a broken leg.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by patchnball View Post
Oldtimr.....maybe you ought to read what you wrote before disparaging someone. NO where does your story tell of more than a BADLY broken leg bones. Back in the day there were no atv's, autos, wheeled vehicles or parking lots. At most a mountain man would have a horse. 50 miles back in.......shoot it was ALL back in at that time. WE today don't know how to survive for any length of time....no cell phone service....gee. They didn't have them back then either. 4 days.... dehydrated and about done. Those boys lived off the land. Maybe get to town a couple times a year.
WE are very cushy people. With all the new tec gear a hunter has at his disposal one should be able to survive months, years in the wild EVEN with minor injury such as a broken leg.
I don't know what your pain threshold is, I've never consider myself a pansy. I've soldiered on with some fairly serious injuries.

A broken leg isn't minor. You have the pain and swelling to deal with and a real possibility of going into shock.

I've had a broken leg, unlikely to kill you in the short term. About the same pain as kidney stones. Shock can kill you. Out in the elements for any length of time and survival can get iffy.

Shock, copy and paste.

Shock is a life-threatening medical condition as a result of insufficient blood flow throughout the body. Shock often accompanies severe injury or illness. Medical shock is a medical emergency and can lead to other conditions such as lack of oxygen in the body's tissues (hypoxia), heart attack (cardiac arrest) or organ damage. It requires immediate treatment as symptoms can worsen rapidly.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

First of all sunshine, I didn't write the story, it was in the newspaper. Next, I know what it said, I could read and comprehend when I was 4yo, but because you seem to have a bit of trouble reading and comprehending what you read I will help you. read the bold!

"A bow-hunting trip in the Idaho wilderness turned into a test of faith for one man, who survived four days with a broken leg before help arrived.

John Sain, 50, was miles from any trails when his foot got lodged between two logs last Thursday, snapping the bones in his right leg. The pain was unbearable.

Using two branches and tattered cloth, he fashioned a splint for his broken leg, and began to crawl. Armed with his survival kit that he had packed for the hunting trip, a little bit of food, and a water purifier, he dragged himself through the rugged terrain. When night fell, he lit a fire to keep warm.

After the fourth day, dehydrated and barely able to tolerate any more pain, he said, "I was done."

That afternoon, a welcome sight appeared: Two men on motorcycles found Sain.

Sain is now recovering in a Boise hospital from leg surgery, surrounded by his family. He said prayer kept him going during his ordeal.

"Thank God," he said. "I'm a faithful man. I prayed the whole time. It was definitely my fuel."

I would say he did better than most men now or when your mythical supermen were preforming super human feats of daring do!

You can take your comments and put them where the sun don't shine. That man was in a life threatening situation and probably would have died had he not been accidentally found. A man afoot with a badly broken leg in 2015 or in 1850 in the wilderness would have fared no better than this man. I don't know who you are trying to impress but I doubt you were successful here.

Elizabeth Chuck

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-17-2015 at 09:58 AM.