Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New Colorado refund/points restroation rules >

New Colorado refund/points restroation rules

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Colorado refund/points restroation rules

Old 09-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Colorado refund/points restroation rules

Looks like Colorado will be changing its tag return policy on refunding/point restoration rules.

Main change is that you can still return the tag and get a refund OR point restoration (not both) but would have to return the tag more than 30 days before the hunt starts.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Com...RulesIssue.pdf

Kind of like that because it stops guys from scouting until the day before the start of the season and then turning the tag back in. This way, they may even reissue the tag to another hunter.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

This is a good change for once. That up to last day crap was ridiculous for guys without medical excuses. Just added to the already bad point creep problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it is a good start to eliminate having people who don't intend to hunt eating all the tags. I would like to see them allow banking of points so you only use what is necessary to score the tag not use all of the points. That is the only way they will slow down the point creep.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I think it is a good start to eliminate having people who don't intend to hunt eating all the tags. I would like to see them allow banking of points so you only use what is necessary to score the tag not use all of the points. That is the only way they will slow down the point creep.
They did that for a single season. From what I heard it was pretty popular. Not sure why they didn't put it in place full time. As to point creep, I don't think anyone ever thought such a thing would happen. I remember when they first began issuing points and I sure never thought it would take 20+ points to draw some tags. I don't think anyone else did either.

The question is, how to fix it? The above suggestion might work, but not for the really high point areas. I'll use myself for an example: I currently have 21 points for elk, 15 points for deer, 15 points for bear, 3+10 weighted for bighorn, 3+10 weighted for moose, 5 for goat (I took a billy in 2002) and 1 for pronghorn (I took a good buck last year). I have all these points because for many years I was stationed away from home and couldn't hunt so I put in for points. Someone like me isn't going to cash in points for just any tag since I've been pulling them for so long. Nobody just coming into the game can beat me for a tag if I really want the tag.

Here's my solution: Quit issuing points for 5 seasons and let the guys with lots of points (myself for example) draw out and get out of the way. After 5 years wipe the slate clean and start over with a system designed to prevent point creep by setting a cap on the numbers you can get, sort of like what they do for sheep, goat and moose. This would put things on a more equal footing and it wouldn't penalize guys (like myself) that played the game according to the rules imposed on us.

As always, feel free to disagree.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

With your points, which are impressive Flags, you should be able to draw any tag you go for. You have to be among the top tier of points owners in Colorado. You are still young and in good enough shape for probably any hunt. Some people who have a lot of points are at the end of their hunting due to age and might not be able to hunt in some of the trophy areas and could get in several lesser hunts which might not be so taxing. The way it works now they would burn all their points if they applied even if it took only 5 to 10 points for a draw. When they apply and get the tag it skews the points needed since they would be spending 20+ points. Have a few of those in any area and the points needed will grow for the next year which is point creep. If only the points needed to draw were limited to what was actually needed then as time goes on the points should go down as lucky people like you used some or all of your points. The points needed should be like a supply and demand. It should go up and down slightly each year depending on who applied and how many points they have. With banking there would only be 20 points+ needed on the true trophy areas for a few years then as points are used it should diminish. My bet is there are a lot of people who die before they get a chance to use their hard earned points. My friend in Alamosa is in the same spot you are and I think he has 24 elk points. I am sure he would like to use them but can't pull the switch because after the draw he will have zero.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I emailed the DOW and found out these tags that are turned back in for elk and deer will be simply added to the "leftover list" and would be sold 1st come 1st served.......... So if someone turns their tag back in for a 20 pt unit, they will be just sold as a left over and not use points!!

That sounds like a formula for a "good old boy" system. You and I would never have a chance at those tags. I asked them if I could camp on their doorstep starting 35 days from the date of a really good hunt.

He said it has not passed yet, and we should give them input if we don't like that part of it. And I will definitely let them know that moving them to leftovers is just not right.