Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear with Cubs?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default Bear with Cubs?

Howdy,

Writing a short story about something unrelated to hunting, but in the story I want to discuss the dilemma of taking down a bear which the hunters did not know had cubs with her.

Is this far fetched? Does it happen? If it happens that a hunter bags a bear with cubs, what does the hunter do in reality? Do you put the cubs down?

As honest and detailed of an answer would be helpful for my short.

Thanks so much,
-J
Old 08-13-2015, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

where i bear hunt, you only get one tag. in the event me or someone i know was not paying attention at all and shot a sow without seeing the cubs, you just have to let them be. you cant take extra animals because you think its more humane.
id be willing .

any event, seeing your join date. this seems like an anti question and you will be treated as such
Old 08-13-2015, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

In the very unlikely even this happened, despite what the antis claim it is very, very rare, all you can do is contact the game dept in the respective state and let them decide what to do with the cubs. The hunter doesn't have the legal right to decide.

The only time I've heard of it happening in CO when they had a spring season, the DOW caught the cubs and turned them over to an outdoor education project called Outdoor Lab which was affiliated with the high schools around Denver. They ran a learning camp near Estes Park which schools sent students to for a week long education experience. The orphaned cubs were kept in a big enclosure and became sort of camp mascots.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am suspicious of this new account asking questions about a mother bear and cubs, and what a hunter would do when yahoo has on the front page section a current story about a mother bear and two cubs that may be euthanized in Yellowstone. Coincidence or not.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jpatterson
Howdy,

Writing a short story about something unrelated to hunting, but in the story I want to discuss the dilemma of taking down a bear which the hunters did not know had cubs with her.

Is this far fetched? Does it happen? If it happens that a hunter bags a bear with cubs, what does the hunter do in reality? Do you put the cubs down?

As honest and detailed of an answer would be helpful for my short.

Thanks so much,
-J
Welcome J!

It's very unlikely a hunter would not know a sow had cubs. Typically the cubs lead the way, and are first to arrive with the sow bringing up the rear. For myself, I watch sows when they appear and observe their body language. If they are looking around expectantly, I watch for cubs. If they are acting nervous I watch for bigger bears.

For accidental kills whether an unintended species, or like you asked, a sow with cubs. A hunter would contact the Wildlife authorities, in Michigan this is our DNR. So, they would know exactly how many times this would have happened. They would also know what the penalty might be.

Good luck on your project.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

It happens quite a bit in PA. Cubs are born in PA in Jan or Feb while the sow is in hibernation. Our bear season comes in the end of November and in over populated areas it comes back in in Dec during deer season. The cub that are running with sows are well able to take care of themselves since they are around 9 months old when the season opens. It used to be illegal to kill a cub in PA, however it got a bit ridiculous at the check stations congratulating a hunter with a bear over a year old normally a sow and the next guy in line has a 110 lb male that is under a year old, cub get a citation and loses his bear. I have weighed cubs over 125 lbs and adult bear at under 100 lbs. When the law changed, most people still tried to leave cubs run, however, since many hunters have never seen a bear in the wild, unless the cubs are close to the mother where a size comparison can be made they will shoot the first one they see unless they are experienced. Then when they walk up to the bear they find ground shrinkage, a cub. allowing cubs to be taken certainly did not hurt our bear population, our harvests remain between 4,000 and change and 3,000 and change. If the OP's seasons and birth times are abut the same as ours, cubs are able to take care of themselves if the sow gets shot, that doesn't mean you have to shoot it but the cubs will be OK.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-13-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It happens quite a bit in PA. Cubs are born in PA in Jan or Feb while the sow is in hibernation. Our bear season comes in the end of November and in over populated areas it comes back in in Dec during deer season. The cub that are running with sows are well able to take care of themselves since they are around 9 months old when the season opens. It used to be illegal to kill a cub in PA, however it got a bit ridiculous at the check stations congratulating a hunter with a bear over a year old normally a sow and the next guy in line has a 110 lb male that is under a year old, cub get a citation and loses his bear. I have weighed cubs over 125 lbs and adult bear at under 100 lbs. When the law changed, most people still tried to leave cubs run, however, since many hunters have never seen a bear in the wild, unless the cubs are close to the mother where a size comparison can be made they will shoot the first one they see unless they are experienced. Then when they walk up to the bear they find ground shrinkage, a cub. allowing cubs to be taken certainly did not hurt our bear population, our harvests remain between 4,000 and change and 3,000 and change. If the OP's seasons and birth times are abut the same as ours, cubs are able to take care of themselves if the sow gets shot, that doesn't mean you have to shoot it but the cubs will be OK.
Sounds like a good argument for baiting.

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
I am suspicious of this new account asking questions about a mother bear and cubs, and what a hunter would do when yahoo has on the front page section a current story about a mother bear and two cubs that may be euthanized in Yellowstone. Coincidence or not.
Old salty, is this the bear that killed and ate the park worker?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
I was more than suspicious as soon as I read the post! The story is about something completely different, but just by coincidence what if a hunter---I say baloney and this is a PETA person trying to get ammo on here!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nah, it doesn't sound like any kind of excuse for baiting at all. Our bear population is alive and well. Those who will kill cubs will kill cubs, bait or no bait. The number of cubs taken isn't hurting the population at all. We do not need to bait bear in PA to kill them, not that some don't try the easy way, however a high fine and restitution usually takes that idea out of there head in the future. Most people who kill cubs are embarrassed and don't do it again. However, the OP was concerned if the cubs would survive if the sow was killed. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but around here the answer is yes.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Sounds like a good argument for baiting.

Old salty, is this the bear that killed and ate the park worker?
Doesn't have to be, the story is on the front page of news outlets right now and the coincidence of someone trying to find information on a short story that has nothing to do with hunting but has to do with a hunter killing a sow with cubs and what to do, is just too coincidental for me. My personal flag went up when we are asked to be as honest and detailed as possible. It seems his only consideration would be a hunter would either put the bear cubs down or leave them to fend for themselves. Call me a little defensive in giving a response and I would agree, I would just like him to elaborate a little more on his short and understand my reluctance.

Also many answers here answered his request without my input.

My motto: Loose Lips, sink ships.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.