Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Bear Hunting Tips Needed

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Your second photo looks like it shows a cut to the right of that water hole. I'd look really hard at that cut and see if the bear are using it to get to water and to see if there are pockets of wild rose, raspberries or currants along it, all of which bear will feed heavily on. If the fall is really dry, water would be a better thing to set up over for both elk and bear than a food source unless the food source is geographically limited or restricted like a good heavy berry thicket.

One other thing to look at is if there are any big anthills in the more open areas. A lot of people don't know it but bear will hit anthills pretty hard to get to the larvae and eggs. If there are a lot of hills that is worth keeping an eye on. I had an old game warden tell me that trick.
I'll check for the berries and the cut for tracks but no ant hills.

I couldn't see any trails above the cut either but on the mountain next to this one I did find a wide well used trail cutting through the thick timber going up to a semi open area with faint trails, I may work my way around to it if I have time or there is no action in my area.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-18-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up a bear tag for CO muzzleloader. This has been the most bears I seen in about 5 years the area I hunt. Don't overlook trash day if there is a town near and dumpsters if there are any in the area. If you are primarily after a bear hunt them or try getting an elk first and then hunt the carcass then next few days. Last elk I killed I shot it on a Tuesday and when I came back Thursday to hunt it they had it cleaned up already.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
I picked up a bear tag for CO muzzleloader. This has been the most bears I seen in about 5 years the area I hunt. Don't overlook trash day if there is a town near and dumpsters if there are any in the area. If you are primarily after a bear hunt them or try getting an elk first and then hunt the carcass then next few days. Last elk I killed I shot it on a Tuesday and when I came back Thursday to hunt it they had it cleaned up already.
Thanks, there are a few houses in the area, funny you mention trash day cuz that's the first thing I thought about with those houses. I've seen a nice sized cinnamon in this area and lots of sign, my goal is to bring home a bear an Elk is secondary, as I did not get the unit I wanted for Elk or bear, I know this area, so I'll give it a try.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Spike

There has been a lot of bear sightings in Idaho and California. Even in some people's back yard. There's an option for you if you wanted to travel a little hehe
Old 08-21-2015, 04:36 AM
Typical Buck

We had a woman here in the springs just arrested for feeding bears, she had some nice big ones coming in, all in all about 10. I could just go to nat. forest directly west of her and hunt ha ha but my tag is not for that area.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Had a pile of pictures of bears on my cameras last week. I cam had bears on it every day. Hopefully on the 12th they are still around
Attached Thumbnails Bear Hunting Tips Needed-mfdc0019.jpg   Bear Hunting Tips Needed-pict0105.jpg   Bear Hunting Tips Needed-wgi_0012.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
My plan is to sit silently in the tree stand for the first day or two hoping to get lucky with an Elk after that I'll be using a predator call Wayne Carlton's Call'n Bears, it sounds really good.

Any one ever tried it ?
Good luck RockyMtn, check the rules, but bears will gobble your Elk gut pile. Ive chased bear off White-Tail gut piles & Moose gut piles, if you can hunt mast crops or berry patches, i don't see the difference in hunting gut piles as they were not put there for the bear? But like i said check the rules about that, but the gut pile will get the Bruins attention if they're in the area.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Good luck RockyMtn, check the rules, but bears will gobble your Elk gut pile. Ive chased bear off White-Tail gut piles & Moose gut piles, if you can hunt mast crops or berry patches, i don't see the difference in hunting gut piles as they were not put there for the bear? But like i said check the rules about that, but the gut pile will get the Bruins attention if they're in the area.
Thanks, I'm going to sit overlooking a semi open area in the am and late afternoon but in between I'll be hunting bedding areas N. facing slopes for elk and if I get one I will be staking out the gut pile for bear as it is legal here as long as we don't move it.

Between all the great advise you gentlemen have so kindly shared and all the reading up on elk and bear hunting I'm doing this will certainly be a lot of fun and I hope hard work !
Weather I get anything or not there is.......

NEVER A BAD DAY IN THE MOUNTAINS

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
Had a pile of pictures of bears on my cameras last week. I cam had bears on it every day. Hopefully on the 12th they are still around
Are they at bait stations or just in the area? We cant use bait or any scents here that are or imitate food so that really sucks.
Looks good ! Good luck !
Old 08-23-2015, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

No bait they are on heavily used trails in co. I have them out for elk seems lately more bear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.