Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bighorn sheep??

Old 07-14-2015, 11:59 AM
Spike

Default Bighorn sheep??

I'm beginning search for a bighorn ram hunt. Hoping to get some info, Looking at Alberta. Anybody have outfitter recommendation? Advice on another location? Wish it were easier to hunt sheep in lower 48 but I sure all of you know the likelihood of that.
Not too interested in trophy size, most interested in success (high population of rams)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alberta is probably your best bet if your pockets are deep enough. I would like one more sheep tag but I don't know if I will ever get another one. Last one I had was in 1986 in CO and I haven't been able to get another one since.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 AM
Spike

Thanks flags. I"ve been applying in the western states but with such low percentage of draw success I'm getting a bit discouraged and dont see myself ever getting to hunt down here. Congrats on the tag you were able to draw back in the day. Did you take a ram?
Old 07-18-2015, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope. I passed on a good 3/4 curl ram because I had seen a full curl while scouting and I was holding out for him. Never found him so I ate the tag. It happens. I did get a sheep in BC more than 20 years ago. He is in the corner of this photo. So if I never get another bighorn it is all good since I did get one.

For what it is worth, if you just want to hunt sheep, CO issues ewe tags and they are pretty easy to get. I've had several family members and friends take ewes for meat. Wild sheep is one of the best game meats there is. That may be an option for you to consider.

My father took a stone a long time ago and I inherited that head when he passed so I really don't need another sheep head on the wall.

Last edited by flags; 07-18-2015 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Flags, you've been blessed to be on some incredible hunts. Always enjoy seeing your walls! Ctiller, if you have the money, go North.. Otherwise hope for the luck of the draw!
-Jake
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Flags, you've been blessed to be on some incredible hunts. Always enjoy seeing your walls!
-Jake
Agreed!! I hope I get to put some nice trophies like those on my wall. Nice wall Flags!
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Montana still offers some "Unlimited" tag units. They are located in the Wilderness and remote areas north of Yellowstone Park. The tags are unlimited, but the seasons are either very short or will close on a days notice if the quota is approached or met.

The ram numbers are not real high and these hunts have become real popular to the point of being crowded. I hunted a number of these units in the 80s and 90s and did manage to kill 3 rams. Like Flags posted, wild sheep meat is about the best.

There are some outfitters that hunt these units. All of my hunts were DIY, and most were solo. Here's my Bighorn rams and a Dall ram that I shot in Canada's McKenzie Mountains in the late 90s.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Spike

those are some impressive trophies!! youve done some awesome hunts! spoke with a guy regarding those units in Montana n he said the sheep numbers were very low there. ??? Would it b worth a try?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

You can't get one while sitting on the couch. So, even if numbers are low you'd have a better chance there than not going at all. If going on that hunt is feasible for you then the worst that will happen is that you'll have an awesome time in the mountains... the best would be getting a good sheep. I'd say it's worth a try if you can do it.
-Jake
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 AM
Spike

youre right. cant get one on the couch. lol just want to optimize the time I have on a hunt with higher percentages of success. but youre spot on with the idea that the worst outcome of that hunt would be a great time in the mountains. it'd be a great learning experience also Im sure. Have you hunted rams?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.