Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New hunting show

Old 07-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mthusker
I quite well know what he was talking about, obviously. I have never hunted big game with a dog, but if that is what others enjoy, I do not have a problem with it. Been hunting quite awhile, I realize not everyone does it the same way, even though I do not always agree with the method, as a hunter I try to be open to their methods, as long as all is legal. Too many ANTI'S out there for us to cast stones at each other in my opinion.
If you want to give the anti's more ammo......... show dogs chasing a bear up a tree, and some so called hunter shooting it out of a tree. That's why it's illegal in Colorado now. Along with baiting. It will be the same in every state at some point.

As for casting stones? It's my right to give my opinion if I want to. I said I wasn't interested in watching it, and i'm not. You disagreeing with that is no better than what I said about bear hunting with dogs. So, how are you any better? You don't think anti's pick up on that?

I'm open minded about other methods too. Hunters are free to hunt as they please as long as it's legal. I'll do nothing to try and stop it, or change the laws. However, I will voice how I feel about it.

btw This has nothing to do with hunting for birds with a dog. The hunters are shooting the birds from the air. Not from a tree.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If you want to give the anti's more ammo......... show dogs chasing a bear up a tree, and some so called hunter shooting it out of a tree. That's why it's illegal in Colorado now. Along with baiting. It will be the same in every state at some point.

As for casting stones? It's my right to give my opinion if I want to. I said I wasn't interested in watching it, and i'm not. You disagreeing with that is no better than what I said about bear hunting with dogs. So, how are you any better? You don't think anti's pick up on that?

I'm open minded about other methods too. Hunters are free to hunt as they please as long as it's legal. I'll do nothing to try and stop it, or change the laws. However, I will voice how I feel about it.

btw This has nothing to do with hunting for birds with a dog. The hunters are shooting the birds from the air. Not from a tree.
only small bears tree when being run by dogs. trust me, the big ones just keep running
Old 07-07-2015, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, smaller bears don't count?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think we got a little off topic, I don't mind hunting or fishing shows. I come to the table with an understanding that alot of them are pre-staged to an extent but I find them better than what is on most of the other channels.

Do enjoy Jim Shockey and Meat Eaters Steve Rinella. I think some of the other shows though are just too hung up on ratings and being entertaining versus being authentic. Jeff Foxworthy's show though kinda has to bring a little entertainment just because of who he is. Being authentic will bring more sportsman to the table than the fake or staged shows.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
only small bears tree when being run by dogs. trust me, the big ones just keep running
I have no idea where you got that from because a big bear will wear down and tree and sometimes a lot quicker than a younger bear. I had a big boar hanging around my cabin years ago up in northern MI and a guy came in with his hounds for a good chase to train some of his younger hounds. That bear treed after about a 1/2 hour run and they let him go to run another day! The guy was an old timer and said it was as big as he'd ever seen and guessed him to be close to 500#. I quit watching most of the outdoor shows, but will certainly agree that Shockey and Rinella are as good as it gets for doing it right and respecting the game they are after.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-07-2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I have no idea where you got that from because a big bear will wear down and tree and sometimes a lot quicker than a younger bear. I had a big boar hanging around my cabin years ago up in northern MI and a guy came in with his hounds for a good chase training some younger hounds of his. That bear treed after about a 1/2 hour run and they let him go to run another day!.
all the 350 lb bears ive run behind never treed . they just kept going and going and going.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

So, smaller bears don't count?

oh they count. but were i have hunt bears, most dont go after 90 lb bears
Old 07-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much experience running dogs after bears but we in NC have enough dogs running in season for deer to know that alot of the clubs lose deer dogs when they get onto a big bear instead. The smaller ones will tree most of the time, the big ones can tree at times but depends on the trees around (alot of tall pines with no low branches) but more often then not will end up cornered and will then face the dogs.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I said, and always have. Everybody is free to hunt as they please, but I won't watch methods that I don't agree with. It should have been left right there.

I prefer to watch westerns on TV.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

As I said, and always have. Everybody is free to hunt as they please, but I won't watch methods that I don't agree with. It should have been left right there.

I prefer to watch westerns on TV.
Yep, nothing like a good old western Pete, and there are a lot of them out there to watch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.