Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2016 Elk Hunt Help!

Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'll do fine. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want some info and some advice on hunting the northwest part of CO, drop me a PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of strong opinions for and against outfitters have been posted in this topic. Like anything else, outfitters or guides have their place. For some people, extreme DIY is the ONLY way to hunt and anything less will take away from that experience for them. Stealthycat (Ranger77) is probably one of the hardest core DIY'ers that I've posted with. He would (and has) solo backpack hunted with just a bow in some tough country and was just fine being miles away from help, cell, any other hunters, etc. I don't remember if he's trad or compound bows but it's that get-back-to-nature experience that gets him going, regardless of the success of the hunt.

For other hunters, they may DIY, do a drop camp with an outfitter or go on a fully guided hunt. Just depends on what they're looking for and how much time and money they have to invest. Some of the outfitters and guides I've corresponded with or chatted with at hunting shows have said some of their clients are really just looking for a hunting buddy with access and are willing to pay the big bucks for that camaraderie. The guides really enjoyed it also as they got to just enjoy the hunt without a prima donna PITA client to babysit.

There are obviously some shyster outfitters and guides but there are also quite a few good ones as well. Some of the members on HNI are guides and/or outfitters. Others are longtime hunters that generously share their experience, wisdom and oft-times hard earned knowledge about hunting. Their input is invaluable as it helps a younger or less experienced hunter with learning more about hunting and also finding out more about things like guides if they are curious or so inclined. Like anything else, it depends a lot on what you're looking for and expect.

It's okay to state your own preference and why--that's a personal experience and you're entitled to your own opinion. When you take your bad experiences with some guides or outfitters and then castigate all guides and outfitters, that isn't being honest, fair or representing hunting well. Being judged by somebody else's misbehavior is both insulting and disingenuous. Nobody likes to be judged that way and I would expect anybody so judged to feel like they got a raw deal.

Most of my hunts in this life have been DIY, often with close friends and/or family. I have gone on a few guided hunts, some good and some not. I would go on some of those guided hunts again in a minute (one cattle rancher/pig guide comes readily to mind) if they were still available--it was that much fun. There's one outfitter/guide on HNI that does wall tent hunts in the Montana forests who PM'd me about a cancellation hunt a few years back. I couldn't swing it because of a divorce but would have loved to go as a wall tent horseback elk hunt is one of my bucket items and he seemed like I would really enjoy hunting with him.

I guess I could go back and edit the flaming but you guys already know what's right and what's wrong. You don't need to bash other hunters and HNI members to make your points. The OP seemed to get a LOT of good information that he considered helpful in planning a special hunt with his dad. Kinda seems like we all ought to respect that and just offer him help and/or advice without stepping all over the moment so to speak.

For the OP, let us know what you decide and how it works out. There's a lot of good guys (outfitters, guides and longtime hunters) who are very knowledgeable about hunting in Colorado and elsewhere on HNI. You should be able to get some very good advice and help in addition to the wise counsel you've already received. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

EXACTLY correct Blackelk!

Last edited by RMA; 05-15-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

And I'm a Outfitter go figure. I just think after guiding bowhunters all these years that their best odds are not having extra people in the field that means a guide too. Double the movement, double the noise and smells. Maybe a drop camp would be a good place to start. Cheaper and should be in quality elk area. The only point where the benefit of having a buddy in elk hunting with a bow is they can call for you while you either stalk the elk or set up a ambush. Now rifle hunting all you have to do is be able to make the shot when I put you in front of the elk. Huge difference between the two. But personally I love bowhunting. Guiding bowhunters drives me crazy. Honest as it gets.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Spike

Blackelk, THANK YOU for your input! I couldn't agree more with your points.

This past week, from the research I have done, there are a lot more semi-guided opportunities out there than I expected. For this hunt with my dad, that would be IDEAL!

I really want to get out there and learn because the next time I go after elk, it will probably be by myself or with my buddy who is my age and can really get after it with me.

Everyone has been very helpful, I appreciate it very much and I will absolutely keep this post updated with my hunt planning process so y'all can chip in where you see fit.

Thanks!

Nick
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by npags01
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't even thought about it because of my inexperience with elk hunting, but you have my attention! I will absolutely start doing some research! Nick
You are experienced. You got that in New Mexico. Same place I did in 1996 on my 1st elk hunt. Been going DIY ever since. So can you. Makes for a much better adventure anyway.

Last edited by Zim; 05-17-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Zim
You are experienced. You got that in New Mexico. Same place I did in 1996 on my 1st elk hunt. Been going DIY ever since. So can you. Makes for a much better adventure anyway.
I definitely plan on DIY elk in the next few years, for this hunt though, I want to make sure my dad and I have a comfortable stay along with the hunt.

What I am learning is that you really have to determine what you want out of your hunt. Each one is different. I am 24 and consider myself to be able to tackle any obstacles a DIY hunt would offer. I DIY hunt everything from black bear to moose in Alaska.

This hunt in fall of 2016 my dad and I want to have a comfortable stay and share the hunt with eachother because I have been away from home since joining the Army in 2012. That is what I want for my dad and I for this hunt.

As far as DIY hunting goes, I am planning both moose and caribou hunts for myself and my buddy in Alaska this fall! I can't wait to get back there and start really planning! September 1, I'll be chasing moose with my bow!
Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Spike

Save your money. Get with me, I'll point you in the right direction. Plenty of GMUs with Over the counter tags for archery. Dedicate your time in scouting this is more for you than the elk, get a sense of where what is in the area you will be hunting. Recently map after map showed 9200 ft in elevation with pines... upon getting there, I learned there is a road through that 9200 ft now and no pines (wildfire I guess) but a crap load of small aspen trees... back side of that aspen grove now? well a small stream with a crap load of elk tracks... problem though is the road, elk aren't going to hang around motorcycles atvs etc... point is... scouting pays off. Leave a game cam there come back in a week ... nothing? move on ... I start scouting in July / Aug timeframe a full month to two months prior to season, I have a pretty good idea where the elk will be in the GMU and where they are going to move to under pressure. Certain GMUs are better than others. Lot of Elk NW - W of Denver area .... GMU 471 has a lot of elk but.... its rough terrain bad rough and no 4 wheeler trails for miles.... no one hunts it.