Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2016 Elk Hunt Help!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:50 AM
Spike

Default 2016 Elk Hunt Help!

Hey all!

I am starting to dig into planning an elk hunt for my dad and I in 2016. We are average hunters from Ohio. We both have had success hunting elk in New Mexico through a friend and outfitter, but are interested in exploring other options. I have always had my heart set on shooting an elk in Colorado with my bow.

I was wondering if any of you could offer advice on finding a trustworthy outfitter? (maybe you have had experience with one already?) Budget wise, my absolute maximum I am willing to spend is $5000 total/ person.

I JUST REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GET BURNED!

Any help will be much appreciated!

THANKS!!

Nick
Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by npags01

Why use an outfitter? If you're wanting to hunt elk in CO in 2016 then you have plenty of time to plan a DIY hunt. Any elk taken on your own will have much more meaning to you than one taken with an outfitter. Rather than put $5K into an outfitter's pocket, do the hunt on your own and keep a large chunk of that $$$ for another hunt.

CO has a huge elk herd and millions upon millions of acres of public land to hunt on. My suggestion is to go to the DOW website and begin to research elk hunting. They have a huge amount of info on there. You can even contact the game biologists for areas you're interested in and get their scoop on things. Once you narrow down an area, come back to this site and I'm sure that several of the members, including myself, will pony up some info for you.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:13 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Why use an outfitter? If you're wanting to hunt elk in CO in 2016 then you have plenty of time to plan a DIY hunt. Any elk taken on your own will have much more meaning to you than one taken with an outfitter. Rather than put $5K into an outfitter's pocket, do the hunt on your own and keep a large chunk of that $$$ for another hunt...

Thanks for the advice! I hadn't even thought about it because of my inexperience with elk hunting, but you have my attention! I will absolutely start doing some research!

Im so pumped!!!

Thanks again for the quick feedback! And also for your service if I am seeing your profile photo correctly! I am deployed with the army right now.

Have a good one!

Nick
Old 05-13-2015, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

It's not about getting burned, it's about opportunity. In Colorado hunting public land quality management unit or OTC units nothing is controlled. Not the weather, the start of the rut, hunting pressure or actual shooting scenario's. You may hire the cheapest outfitter on public land and have a great hunt or you may hire a quality management outfitter and get "burned" or vice versa. Bowhunting elk on public lands one should always keep in mind this one main point. It's not about the rack on the back of the truck heading home it's about all the things that led up to that chance to take the shot.

I've had hunters show up and we all got burned that week. No elk, digging them out of the timber like ticks. And the very next week be covered up in elk where they were supposed to be in the first place. These animals are not whitetails they just don't use habitat that way.

Now saying all that. Elk on larger private land plots that are not harassed by everyone and the landowner actually knows what he's doing as far as pressure, will not leave property because the elk know whats on the other side of that fence. I'm not saying private land is where to hunt but if your worried about getting burned then being able to control your part of the hunt and how much pressure is put on the animal is where I'd first start looking. If it's about the hunt itself then DIY.

For me if I do not draw my muzzle loader tag then it will be OTC archery elk. I've shot enough elk that any bull elk with a bow is still a trophy. It is a damn tough hunt to consistently kill bull elk with a bow year after year. But what a fun game to play.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackelk
For me if I do not draw my muzzle loader tag then it will be OTC archery elk. I've shot enough elk that any bull elk with a bow is still a trophy. It is a damn tough hunt to consistently kill bull elk with a bow year after year. But what a fun game to play.
And that is what I love about bowhunting!! The game is addicting!

I agree with what you're saying about the hunt over the trophy. I experienced that firsthand in 2012 in NM for elk with a rifle. We had a guide on private land, but out there, all the land around us was private too. We chased this herd every day and they stayed one step ahead of us the whole week.

We sat down for dinner the evening before our last day, and I looked at my dad and our guide and said if we don't see an elk tomorrow, I will still go home happy. We had an amazing week up to that point with so much excitement. I had never really felt a satisfaction like that before.

The next morning at 0900, I shot my first bull elk! Best experience of my life! Not because of the kill, but getting to hunt like that with my dad and our guide (our friend). The 5x6 was just a bonus in my mind!
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Elk Hunt Help!-1.jpg  
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would also suggest since you are pretty close to buy into the elk lottery in Kentucky. That way if you or your dad gets the chance you are alot closer to Ky to plan and scout then out west.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flags
Why use an outfitter? If you're wanting to hunt elk in CO in 2016 then you have plenty of time to plan a DIY hunt. Any elk taken on your own will have much more meaning to you than one taken with an outfitter. Rather than put $5K into an outfitter's pocket, do the hunt on your own and keep a large chunk of that $$$ for another hunt.

CO has a huge elk herd and millions upon millions of acres of public land to hunt on. My suggestion is to go to the DOW website and begin to research elk hunting. They have a huge amount of info on there. You can even contact the game biologists for areas you're interested in and get their scoop on things. Once you narrow down an area, come back to this site and I'm sure that several of the members, including myself, will pony up some info for you.
How is it you can tell how much meaning an elk will have to somebody? Have you ever been on an outfitted hunt? I have a fella that hunts with us every year, he does so because he builds bows and knives after work as sells them to pay for his hunt. How many people hire a mechanic, contractor, eat out etc? They should all be "doing it on their own" to get more satisfaction? Some people find great satisfaction in being successful enough to pay for an outfitted hunt, whether they are building bows or owning a business. I am a perfectly capable elk hunter, but if I hunt out of state I will definitely hire an outfitter. I don't find satisfaction in cooking, cleaning, cutting wood, and setting up camp when I only have a week to hunt, and many guys are just like me. The OP had a question about finding a Colorado outfitter, not opinions from the anti-outfitting crowd.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Hey all!

I am starting to dig into planning an elk hunt for my dad and I in 2016. We are average hunters from Ohio. We both have had success hunting elk in New Mexico through a friend and outfitter, but are interested in exploring other options. I have always had my heart set on shooting an elk in Colorado with my bow.

I was wondering if any of you could offer advice on finding a trustworthy outfitter? (maybe you have had experience with one already?) Budget wise, my absolute maximum I am willing to spend is $5000 total/ person.

I JUST REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GET BURNED!

THANKS!!

Nick
What kind of hunt are you looking for? Guided, semi-guided, drop camp? I don't think your budget is unreasonable at all. I would start be determining what kind of hunt you are after, and even what kind of animal you are after. You are doing the right thing beginning early as most of the quality outfits will be booked up or close to it by the end of the year.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am starting to dig into planning an elk hunt for my dad and I in 2016.
Nick,
If you somehow do not go in 2016 at least apply to get a preference point in 2016. Too bad you did not start planning early enough to get a point for 2015. One preference point is not a lot but it may make a difference in where (and with whom) you hunt. There are elk in many places in Colorado and the best places usually require preference points to hunt.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by TwoBear
How is it you can tell how much meaning an elk will have to somebody? Have you ever been on an outfitted hunt? I have a fella that hunts with us every year, he does so because he builds bows and knives after work as sells them to pay for his hunt. How many people hire a mechanic, contractor, eat out etc? They should all be "doing it on their own" to get more satisfaction? Some people find great satisfaction in being successful enough to pay for an outfitted hunt, whether they are building bows or owning a business. I am a perfectly capable elk hunter, but if I hunt out of state I will definitely hire an outfitter. I don't find satisfaction in cooking, cleaning, cutting wood, and setting up camp when I only have a week to hunt, and many guys are just like me. The OP had a question about finding a Colorado outfitter, not opinions from the anti-outfitting crowd.
Of course you feel that way. You're an outfitter. Flags opinion is no less valuable than yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.