Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

guns for ext AK trip

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AK Jeff
There aren't any whitetails in Alaska and there are very few moose seasons open in August.
Sorry habitually typed whitetail, meant to type blacktail. or otherwise known as Sitka. And I did say "according to what GMU you are going to be in" as far as Moose hunting. As well as the OP did say he was going to be there through Sept.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

From Alaska Fish & Game: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nting.firearms
Old 04-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

About all I can see hunting in spring is black bear. But you can do some serious fishing. If I were going on an extended 'camping' trip to AK I would carry a short barreled Remington 870 12 ga slung on my shoulder. I would also like to have an accurate 22LR revolver for an occasional small game meal if legal.
Jeff pointed out one thing I am not sure is accurate. If you ship your handgun to an FFL in AK I believe you only have to show proof of identity to reclaim it.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Jeff pointed out one thing I am not sure is accurate. If you ship your handgun to an FFL in AK I believe you only have to show proof of identity to reclaim it.
Technically, you don't even have to ship it to an FFL. There is no transfer when shipping a firearm to yourself.

I've shipped handguns to myself in the past, including to avoid the whole "driving through Canada" thing. You DO have to select a PERSON to receive the "in care of" for shipping, and they're not allowed to open it (legally considered a transfer). I generally try to talk the hotel manager where I'd be staying into receiving my packages, or a person could ship it to their outfitter's HQ.

When I couldn't get a hotel to receive it, I've had local gun shops take receipt - might as well have picked a name out of the phone book, in terms of legality - and I've never paid transfer fees, nor been required to fill out a 4473. Again, it's not a transfer if you're shipping to yourself.

Now, that's not to say that all gunshops are fully versed in the laws that govern them, so they might make you jump through hoops, but "by the book" there is no transfer from a person to themselves, so there's no need for any FFL involvement.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I knew about the shipping guns to yourself thing, thank you for re-reminding me of it. Also Canada isn't a huge issue as for $75.00 and a piece of their beaurocratic paperwork you can pass if youre clean, or some such thing. I spent some time this eve researching 10mm as a carry gun vs my .44 mag wheelgun, quick response with a high pressure semi auto vs the unadulterated hp of a .44mag. And Ive thought maybe my M92 clone levergun in .44mag stuffed into a MOLLE scabbard might work for my occasional hiking fishing panning jaunts. Another thing I thought of, tho I would miss visiting my great friends in Canada, was to just put my truck camper on the ferry in Seattle and ride up the inside passage. But that adds a good bit to the expense of getting there. I have 24 months to research too many options. I much appreciate the input Ive gotten so far. Please keep it coming as some things I hadn't thought of will surely crop up. I found out last eve I will be retiring 3 months earlier than I had previously planned so that adds more whatifs/whatodo into the mix. The heck of a thing about being retired soon is that I can just do my 'big AKadventure' any way I want and it'll be right.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
I knew about the shipping guns to yourself thing, thank you for re-reminding me of it. Also Canada isn't a huge issue as for $75.00 and a piece of their beaurocratic paperwork you can pass if youre clean, or some such thing.
NOT WITHA A HANDGUN!!!! Canada will not just let you pass through with a handgun. The registry, which you're talking about, is for rifles and shotguns. Canada has and will confiscate handguns!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
NOT WITHA A HANDGUN!!!! Canada will not just let you pass through with a handgun. The registry, which you're talking about, is for rifles and shotguns. Canada has and will confiscate handguns!
You CAN get an Authorization To Transport (ATT) for handguns to transport in Canada. They ain't a sure thing, but you can get them. Gotta have an approved purpose (which hunting and SD are not generally considered to be such), then apply for a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration.

I had the unfortunate displeasure to spend time working in Ontario and "keh-bec," and I'm stubborn enough to jump through any hoops necessary to avoid the separation anxiety from being away from all of my handguns for that long.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You CAN get an Authorization To Transport (ATT) for handguns to transport in Canada. They ain't a sure thing, but you can get them. Gotta have an approved purpose (which hunting and SD are not generally considered to be such), then apply for a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration.

I had the unfortunate displeasure to spend time working in Ontario and "keh-bec," and I'm stubborn enough to jump through any hoops necessary to avoid the separation anxiety from being away from all of my handguns for that long.
You're making my point. You are not going to just show up at the border crossing in Canada and simply fill out the firearm declaration and take them through that nation. Taking a handgun isn't worth the hassle in my opinion when it is so much easier to get a 12 gauge through. If a 12 gauge is too long, pack an extra pistol grip for it and switch the stock over to the pistol grip when you're through Canada.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
You're making my point. You are not going to just show up at the border crossing in Canada and simply fill out the firearm declaration and take them through that nation. Taking a handgun isn't worth the hassle in my opinion when it is so much easier to get a 12 gauge through. If a 12 gauge is too long, pack an extra pistol grip for it and switch the stock over to the pistol grip when you're through Canada.
He has 2yrs still to get his paperwork lined out. If it's worth it to a person, it can happen, but it's a fair amount of work just to be able to hang an ornament on your belt.

And has been mentioned, there are a lot more folks carrying big bore revolvers on their belts for defense than are really qualified to do so. Almost anybody can pick up a long gun and be fast and smooth at bear defense ranges, but alternatively, in my experience as a handgun instructor, almost NOBODY could do the same with a 44mag handgun.

Maybe you're very skilled with yours - if so, then great. But a short barreled 12ga over your shoulder is generally more secure for most folks than a 44mag on their hip.

I gotta ask too - you've had that 338 for 5yrs and haven't shot it? If that were at my house, it'd be rusted away to nothing because I'd have been drooling all over it the whole time!
Old 05-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Those that use the short barreled 12ga do they load slugs and 00 buckshot or just shot or just slugs? Im a fairly trained and experienced shooter andhave been for over 50yrs, but never got into the quickdrawmcgraw stuff so drawing down on a charging ear is a minor concern that nags at me. Im not fearful of bears generally having been around black bears all my life but grizz is probably another thing. On the .338 I have tended to buy more guns than I have time to shoot or hunt with due to work, but that will change next yr when I retire. I tried to quit buying a couple different times but Im a weak man when it comes to gunshopping and gun shows. And I like to buy old worn ones that need a lil TLC and rehabbing to be good, a bit of a hobby I suppose. Researching putting my truck/camper onto a ferry/barge for the trip USA to AK and just bypass Canada all together. I just hope the research isn't more fun than the extended camping trip will be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.