Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

guns for ext AK trip

Old 05-04-2015, 04:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
Those that use the short barreled 12ga do they load slugs and 00 buckshot or just shot or just slugs?
If you're loading a shotgun to protect yourself against big nasty hairy things in the brush, leave the 00 buck at home. Assuming you use a standard shotgun in either pump or semi auto (pump is my recommendation) you will have a total of 5 rounds handy. The first 3 in the firing sequence should be slugs. That way you can put a serious hurt on the big nasty while it is a little ways out. The last 2 shells should be 3" magnums in #4 shot. By the time the bug nasty gets that close you won't have to worry about the effectiveness of the #4 shot. The damage it causes at 10 feet or so in incredible.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did just think of something. If you are out there during Waterfowl season, you will be restricted to 3 rounds and make sure you have the plug in the magazine tube. I am fairly certain this applies to anyone out in the field weather you are waterfowl hunting or your shotgun is for Bear defense only. Not 100% certain but fairly. I'd check on that as well if you decide on a shotgun for defense. It's been a while since I was up there during Waterfowl season and I hardly ever use a shotgun for defense. I am one of those few that have enough experience with handgun shooting "under fire", so to speak, to protect myself against Big Brown with my .500 S&W mag 4 inch. It's not a weapon I would recommend to ANYONE without MANY years of training and practice with a handgun to be competent to hit that "bouncing ball" coming at you like a freight train with teeth.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

I admit my reference to shipping to an FFL isn't first hand knowledge. That's what friends have had to do, but check with the ATF and they can tell you exactly what to do.

You can always just buy a handgun off Alaskaslist when you get here. There's tons of them for sale private party.

You're probably 100 times more likely to end up in a dangerous encounter with another human, even in remote bush Alaska. People pose a far greater danger than bears. Nailing a moose with your truck should worry you a lot more than bears. Bears are heavily hunted in most of Alaska and the vast majority know humans are dangerous and they will high tail it away from you. You'll probably be really surprised at how few bears you'll see.

Have fun, see the sights, don't worry about the bears.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I did just think of something. If you are out there during Waterfowl season, you will be restricted to 3 rounds and make sure you have the plug in the magazine tube. I am fairly certain this applies to anyone out in the field weather you are waterfowl hunting or your shotgun is for Bear defense only. Not 100% certain but fairly.
You'd be wrong. I used to do a lot of deer hunting on Federal lands that required the use of a shotgun. We could legally load up with 5 rounds. Of course, it you start shooting waterfowl then you're hunting waterfowl and the waterfowl laws apply. But, as long as you're carrying for big game, the big game laws apply.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

You'd probably do just as good with a big can of bear spray than a handgun. I've seen it work, and it will send a bear off in another direction then yours.

It actually works better on a grizzly than a black bear.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
...and I'm stubborn enough to jump through any hoops necessary to avoid the separation anxiety from being away from all of my handguns for that long.
You must be my twin. ^

Yes I read something about a clear plastic lockable box. Will read more about that later. So much to read ahead of time. But I got the time.

I wont take a shotgun. All my stuff is plugged for 3 since I'm a old PA guy and they cant count past three in that state.

Thank you all for the input. Even the panicked somewhat misinformed posts make very interesting reading.