HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Called in some possible poachers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/398493-called-some-possible-poachers.html)

Wilcam47 03-28-2015 08:54 AM

Called in some possible poachers

My wife and I went out looking for antler sheds, driving around on our atv, having a nice afternoon. We came across 4 elk then I took her to a nice place where Ive seen a few deer overlooking a huge plot of fields. Lo and behold a huge herd of elk. We sat at watched them from a distance for a good while.

Then in a field to the left of where the herd was I noticed a truck parked on a ridge...I told my wife they prob saw them too. after a while one rifle shot and shortly after a second rifle shot. Then the elk herd started running to the woods from the field. No other shots prior to or after. So we book it out of there go to the house and get the phone to call it in to the sheriff. While we were on the phone with the sheriff office the truck comes down out of the field and I ask them what they are doing.??

They guy claims to have been teaching his kids to shoot a gun. And that he was a tribal member...blah blah blah...I believe he was taking a pop shot at some elk and got worried he was busted. I didnt tell him we were on the phone with the sheriff...lol

At about the same time at the end of the public road by the highway someone was fixing a flat so I helped them out and I noticed the truck that had the possible poachers go east out of the area. The highway was maybe 1/4 mile from where they turned out into the field. So my guess is they thought there was a road block and they booked it out of the area the opposite way.

If they werent poaching they were harassing wildlife...because the elk were grazing there for a while since they didnt seem spooked at all. If there was gunshots they wouldnt have even been there.

sconnyhunter 03-28-2015 09:59 AM

Makes me wonder why they felt the need to include the statement about being tribal members.
Hunting season is closed, including to tribal members as well isn't it?

It might be true that they were just out shooting, but I would guess that there is a public range nearby correct?

Oldtimr 03-28-2015 11:34 AM

Good for you for reporting it.

Wilcam47 03-28-2015 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter (Post 4191829)
Makes me wonder why they felt the need to include the statement about being tribal members.

It might be true that they were just out shooting, but I would guess that there is a public range nearby correct?

yep, while tribal members do have longer seasons none are open for elk as far as I know. bear is open I think all year for them. Plus Ive never taken someone new to shooting and only shot 2 times. Theres places to shoot that dont involve shooting near an elk herd. Ive gone shooting close to where these people were before but at the same time there wasnt a huge elk herd where and when I was shooting.

I know elk are twitchy but stuff like this doesnt help

Wilcam47 03-28-2015 01:10 PM

If this would have happened during hunting season...I wouldnt have been a happy camper...

Bocajnala 03-31-2015 09:41 AM

Thanks for reporting it. Gotta keep our eyes open for things like this and do what we can to help out.
-Jake

redgreen 03-31-2015 03:00 PM

I hope that they get caught and they throw the book at em. Good you reported them.

Wilcam47 04-07-2015 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by redgreen (Post 4192245)
I hope that they get caught and they throw the book at em. Good you reported them.

Well if they dont at least they will know to stay away from this area...strange thing is the other day I saw the same person I am 100% sure with the same truck and I caught a different license plate number so either he has 2 trucks the same color or he switched plates....

either way thats one of many reasons Im always carrying a pistol around here. I hope I never have to use it but Im sure not going to be unarmed the day I have to.

Andreashaeffer 04-17-2015 10:32 AM

Agreed with this statement that tribal area not having a good season not even it is open for elk.