Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Elk and Bear Hunting Question >

Elk and Bear Hunting Question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk and Bear Hunting Question

Old 03-01-2015, 07:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all very good and helpful info !
I thought seeing an Elk in sept there was a good chance of seeing them during the season also but I wasn't sure. I have seen several bulls 3 nice 6 pointers and the 4 pointer all within 2 years all in sept and within a 4 mile area.

I do know of a camp ground that always has bears in the spring and summer don't know about the fall but I would bet the bears are there in the fall also. My first priority is to find out about preference points then decide on an area, so I'll check dow web site the call if need be.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
My first priority is to find out about preference points then decide on an area, so I'll check dow web site the call if need be.
I just remembered that I have this year's official preference point issue of the Colorado Outdoors magazine. I looked up the points for you.

Unit 84 is lumped in with unit 69 for both bear and elk tags. Under the unit 69 info, bear tags require no preference points. Elk tags for a bull require between 2 and 3 depending on the season but a cow tag doesn't require points. So, based on that, my advice is to put in for a bull tag to begin building points and get a cow tag as a second choice and also get a bear tag. This way you can hunt both elk and bear. You just won't be hunting a bull elk. There are more huntable cows in any herd so your odds of filling an elk tag are better for a cow anyways. Of course, if the antlers of a bull elk are your driving force then my advice won't do you any good.

By the way, if you do take a cow elk you could, depending on where it hits the ground, keep a watch over the gutpile. A bear may just decide that would be a tasty meal. I know a guy that took a bear that way up by Steamboat Springs about 15 years ago. According to CO law, you can't intentionally bait for bear but a gutpile, left where it is and not moved, doesn't qualify as bait. The most important thing is you can't relocate the gutpile to attract in a bear. Relocating it equates to baiting, it has to be in the place where the elk/deer hit the ground.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Flags, Thank you so much for checking the points for unit 84 !

I just got done checking points for 84, 51 and 851 and after all of the info you and the other gentlemen gave me I have decided to go with unit 51 and focus on a bull and then move within that unit to hunt bear ( until you mentioned hunting bear over the gut pile, thank you ! ) I think I or my daughter have the best chance at a bull in that unit at this point.
I found that bear licenses are over the counter with caps and no point restrictions for bulls in 51.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 AM
Banned

I ought to have thought-about his space. close to Maine the winter vary, and wherever you discover them within the fall may be a twenty five miles distinction.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default elk deer bear colo

Wife wants to bear hunt too. Email me. Pueblo here.
[email protected]