Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Missing?

Old 03-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on circumstances. If I was SURE I had not hit on the first shot, I might consider not shooting again. If I missed but I had some idea why I missed, that would enter into the decision. If I hit high because I held high, overestimating range, I might adjust and shoot again. If I missed by a big margin, maybe I would not shoot again because I might suspect my scope zero was moved or maybe that I was just not capable of an accurate shot then (out of breath, mist beaded up on my eyeglasses from heavy perspiration, other reasons).

On the other hand, if I wasn't sure I had hit or not I would keep shooting. This past October I shot at a running cow elk, quartering towards me. She was running but not in a full-out sprint, at least as far as I judged. I shot three times and did not notice any reaction whatsoever from the elk (.30-06 180 grain Remington Core Lokt). I thought I must have been hitting, however, as I did not think the shot was particularly difficult.

When I found her dead, not too far away from where I had shot her (maybe 100 yards, maybe 50 yards from where she stood when I first shot at her) she had two solid shots forwards in her left shoulder (would have exited diagonally out behind right shoulder), well placed. One of the two bullet holes looked kind of big, as if two shots landed pretty much within a half inch of each other (and hence, in this possible interpretation, all three shots landed -- I'm not making that call however: could be bone was hit by bullet and exploded outwards, creating an enlarged or oblong hole). The elk was hard hit and bled a lot. Yet I observed no physical reaction from her -- she didn't flinch, she didn't jump, she didn't speed up, she didn't slow down.

I definitely would not want to wound and have to trail an elk. Thus, if I might have hit, I will keep shooting -- hoping to drop the elk where they are. If I was sure I had missed, I would have to evaluate. I am not keen on taking long shots on elk, so that is part of my thinking and decision process. I ought to be able to make the kind of shots that I restrict myself to.

I also agree that if I shoot, definitely miss, and the animal starts off running like heck, I will not shoot. Generally I do not like shooting at running game. The cow elk above was a different story. I was very well set up and collected, she was not running in a sprint, the shot felt comfortable. Based on the result, I feel vindicated in my decision. Either one of the two hits was a killing shot.

Last edited by Alsatian; 03-02-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

As already mentioned, depends upon conditions. And frankly, not often but sometimes, I have been unable to tell if I have hit or missed. Most times it is clear.

My position on follow up shots .... I will take follow up shots if I am confortable I can make it. Even of I know the first shot was a good hit. If the animal is still up, I am going to try to put another round in it. If I am not certain I can make a second shot after a miss or a well placed follow up shot on a hit, I simply don't shoot.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't miss much, if I'm not sure of my shot, in most cases, I'll let the opportunity pass. In the end if I have scoped it, I own it anyway. I can count my number of misses on one hand, at least in the last twenty years. In most cases a miss was a bit of grass or a twig that got between the muzzle and the target, it sometimes doesn't take much to deflect a bullet.

It's not that I'm a super outstanding marksman, it is I take only the shots I'm sure of.

Having said all that I shot at a Buck with his head slightly raised nibbling on a bush maybe forty ards. He spun 180 and took off up a ridge like his rear end was on fire. I thought maybe I had clipped a branch and missed or maybe just nicked him. I figured he would stop for an instant at the top of the ridge and blow and maybe check his back trail for pursuit. I was ready for him when he stopped and took a second shot, maybe a hundred and forty yards. He went another thirty feet and dropped. When I gutted him his heart looked like puree or maybe chopped up Cherry Jello. After I skinned him I had a look at the back of the hide, two bullet holes an inch apart, both in the ten ring, right through the heart.

Sometimes they drop in a pile, which is always the best outcome. Sometimes what seems like a miss isn't and this particular Deer just refuses to give up and die.

If I have second shot I'll take it, just on the off chance I wounded with the first shot. Few things worse than watching an animal suffer.

I shot a Doe not long ago that had a bullet lodged in her lower jaw. I was culling her as she was in obvious distress, skin and bones and looked like she had mange. Her whole lower jaw was infected and full of puss, the bone was disintegrating. Life had to be pure misery for her.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Spike

It depends upon the reaction of the animals, that what an animal react after his first shot. If he still there for recognizing the sound then would take another shot.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Spike

Thumbs up

Sounds like everyone is practicing ethical hunting and shooting. Good job, good thoughts!! keep it up
Old 05-09-2015, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The challenge I make to myself is "one shot - one kill." As cliche as it can sound, it's about collecting all of my experience and knowledge into one little cup-and-core package and sending it downrange in whatever amount of time my target gives me to send it.

I'll take one shot. If I miss, it's "until we meet again" - which we sometimes do. And, every shot is followed up - when I was a teenager I thought I'd missed an animal, but checked anyway. Found blood, and not far off - the deer.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

If I miss a standing animal on the first shot I immediately unload the rifle then drive home and get on an Internet forum and denounce the rifle, the ammunition, the maker of my laser rangefinder, the individual that taught me to shoot, and even the animal itself. I was brought up in the public school system in America and firmly believe my own failure to succeed cannot possibly be the result of any personal shortcoming on my part.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:15 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
If I miss a standing animal on the first shot I immediately unload the rifle then drive home and get on an Internet forum and denounce the rifle, the ammunition, the maker of my laser rangefinder, the individual that taught me to shoot, and even the animal itself. I was brought up in the public school system in America and firmly believe my own failure to succeed cannot possibly be the result of any personal shortcoming on my part.
Lol, aint that the truth nowadays...
Old 05-20-2015, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a muzzleloader because it pressures me to make that one shot count. Reloading quickly enough for a second shot is far less likely. It happened to me once since ive hunted and only because there was more than one deer that was presenting a good target.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you could say that one of the benefits of a good "follow through" is getting back on target.

........................Rack over another round, and hit him again !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.