HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Colorado elk draw and 13 points (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/396588-colorado-elk-draw-13-points.html)

car 12-23-2014 05:41 AM

Colorado elk draw and 13 points

Looking for some advice. I live in Ohio. I was planning on moving to Wyoming and traveling to Colorado often to do alot of scouting before cashing in my points. I was going to DIY hunt since I would have been able to do so because of living so close. At this time, it doesn't look like I'll be able to move to Wy. I have never been one to use outfitters much, but at age 57 and hunting alone, I feel with the amount of points and a one shot trip, it would be a wise choice to go with an outfitter or a ranch tag or something along that line. What would you do?

Topgun 3006 12-23-2014 06:23 AM

Sorry to hear your plans to go up around Sundance aren't working out. Hang in there and maybe something will happen to get your plan back on track. As you know, I'm a DIY guy all the way, but I finally decided to burn my 6 deer PPs in Wyoming on a guided horseback hunt down in the high country of Region G next year. I just figured that it will be worth it with all the big deer they can put me on and at my age doing it on my own without horses was impossible, so my buddy and I will be going down there on 9/21 next year on what should be the hunt of a lifetime. That may also be your best bet when you can't get out and do any scouting since we live so far from the Rockies. Merry Christmas to you buddy---MIKE
PS: I'm still PMing back and forth with Gary from the old site regularly. He's doing well after some health problems and his boy shot his first deer at their lease this year. Gary is a proud Papa and the boy had a grin from ear to ear in the pic he sent me!

car 12-23-2014 01:28 PM

Gary is from Texas right? I finally deleted that web site.

With me going to Colorado I wanted to get the most out of my points that's why I figured it would be a wise choice to get some help. Hunting in the Big Horns this year by myself was an eye opener. I kinda thought then when I go to Colorado for elk I'll need help with packing and the lay of the land. After all I'm not getting any younger. And to honest with you I shouldn't be out there hunting by myself even with me being in good health. Too much could happen.

Topgun 3006 12-23-2014 03:22 PM

Yep, Gary lives in Tomball, a small town not too far northwest of Houston. He got me set up in 2010 so I could meet him and take my Dad down on a turkey and hog hunt south of San Antonio where Mom and Dad lived. Turned out that was the last hunt Dad went on before he died the following year. Gary has the mustache in this picture with the three of us with the hog I shot on that hunt.

car 12-23-2014 04:32 PM

Nice, I think I remember you posting and talking about that trip. Gary had a slot for a bear hunt in Maine and had ask if I would be interested. Didn't make that trip with him. Gary seems like a real stand up guy. Kinda like what you are.

flags 12-28-2014 08:06 AM

can't help you with 13 points. I'm sitting on 20 and am hoping this is the year I get to hunt a bull in Unit 2. There is a big 6x6 or better there that is "dying" to meet me and my old 7mm Mag!

Topgun 3006 12-28-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by car (Post 4177119)
Nice, I think I remember you posting and talking about that trip. Gary had a slot for a bear hunt in Maine and had ask if I would be interested. Didn't make that trip with him. Gary seems like a real stand up guy. Kinda like what you are.

Thanks Car! Yep, Gary is one of the good guys and I hope to get down there one of these days for a visit even if it doesn't involve another hunt.

Topgun 3006 12-28-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4177780)
can't help you with 13 points. I'm sitting on 20 and am hoping this is the year I get to hunt a bull in Unit 2. There is a big 6x6 or better there that is "dying" to meet me and my old 7mm Mag!

Thought you were strictly a meat hunter these days Chief! I guess with that many PPs I wouldn't be hunting a cow either, LOL!

Big Uncle 12-28-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by car (Post 4176906)
What would you do?

With 13 points I would hunt for a cow now (second choice) and get another couple of points and try for a Unit 61 tag. Unit 61 is good for both large elk and mule deer.

If it was a "now or never" situation I would find an outfitter in Unit 76. Unit 76 is good if you know the area, but I rarely see a true monster there. Normally a 300 inch bull is near the top for 76, but of course there are some exceptions. I have taken somewhere over a dozen bulls from 76 and only one was above 300 inches (if memory serves it measured around 330). I think there were three 6x6 bulls that were in the 290 range, but most were 5x5 or smaller bulls.

car 12-28-2014 01:22 PM

I don't have to cash my points in this coming year I just figured if I'm not going to be moving to WY and have a lot shorter drive to scout Co I might as well start planning on a elk hunt in the next few years.