Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dragging a bear

Old 07-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cbul
I have looked at some plastic rolled up game draggers but never used one.
Anybody use one?

Years ago I used a kids sled for deer with some success. But I really never cared about hair on a hide before .

Thanks in advance!
yep they shred pretty easy, I use a sled made out of a blue plastic barrel, easiest bear dragging I ever did, they are indestructible
RR
Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cbul
I have looked at some plastic rolled up game draggers but never used one.
Anybody use one?

Years ago I used a kids sled for deer with some success. But I really never cared about hair on a hide before .

Thanks in advance!
Years ago I bought a heavy duty plastic rolled up game dragger (I think from Cabela's) that I've used to drag a couple of deer and two elk, half at a time. It makes the dragging easier, even over snow, and it protects the animal.

Another time I used a kids plastic toboggan to drag another elk out, again, half at a time. I got the elk out, but the toboggan was trashed.

I've also used several wheeled game carriers.

The first one was a single wheel "travois" type that I made from a bicycle wheel and lightweight steel tubing. It worked OK, but half of the weight is in your hands.

I then bought a two wheel carrier from Cabela's that I've carried up to two antelope at a time over several miles of eastern Montana sagebrush. It's a little tippy on side hills, especially when one wheel goes over a bush or rock.

A few years ago I built a two inline wheel carrier. I used 20" heavy duty spoke wheels with solid rubber tires, and welded square steel tubing. It would pack half an elk with two people operating it.

Two of us carried out my first black bear slung under a pole, and two of us also carried out a whitetail buck that I wanted to have mounted that way. It is easy to get the animal swinging if the two people don't stay out of step.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:05 AM
car
Typical Buck

One year I shot a sm bear in Maine and i used a heavy duty vinyl tarp. It worked well for being by myself. Did the same thing in the prairies of Wy with a 300 lb mule deer. Worked really good there. Tarp was trash when we were done.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Used a plastic toboggan this year. But you still need multiple people. Somebody has to be with the bear because it rolls off the toboggan every 5 seconds.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Spike

I had took a plastic toboggan or sled years ago for deer....and drilled holes around the lip to lace 1/4" rope as a tie down. The sled would only hold the front should shoulder and most of the chest and the rear quarter would drag. It worked better than nothing. Still had a buddy help as misery loves company. I was thinking the the plastic sled may be a bit small for a adult bear that is if ......a big if......I get to see one then arrow or shoot it.

Thanks guys keep what has worked or not worked so well coming!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yep they shred pretty easy, I use a sled made out of a blue plastic barrel, easiest bear dragging I ever did, they are indestructible
RR
This sounds like the best way if you can't butcher the animal on the spot and bring it out in a lot of pieces. I know the barrels are just as RR stated!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot a bear and don't intend to. I have killed almost everything else but bears just don't interest me for some reason. I have been involved with hunts where others have killed a bear and dragging them is not really an easy option. Nothing like a deer and they snag everything out along the woods. When we have a bear that needs to be brought out we either sling it to a pole and get enough help to get it out or put it on a game cart. Here in Vermont there are a lot of bears and when one is taken the animal has to be checked in intact other than the field dressing so quartering and skinning in the field isn't an option.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 07-15-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dragging a bear out

When I drag my bear out I cut two poles about 10 ft long.Then lash some smaller cross pieces to it like a stretcher. Then tie bear or deer on and drag out.I have moved them over 4 miles this way.The last bear I shot spring of 2014 I did it a little different. I cut 2 poles and tied them to my pack frame then strapped on the bear. It worked also. Thinking about packing a small wheel and lag screw or some sort of brackets for an axle to make it easier. Game carts would be a chore to pack in where I hunt. I like to keep it light.
Good luck.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got mine out whole with an elk cart and a couple buddies to help. Over 6' cinnamon.

Last edited by Power; 08-18-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
In PA you have to check the bear in whole, it can be gutted, that's all though. If you have to drag it, use a cart, sled, tarp, try to protect it somehow.
-Jake
There's no such law in Pa.You can bring them in quartered but there has to be evidence of sex.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.