Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dragging a bear

Old 07-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Spike

Default Dragging a bear

How do you guys move a bear that you want a rug from? I'm concerned about loosing hair on the hide. I do own a Otter sled but may hunt a place where thats not practical.

Ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Learn how to skin and cape it out where you shoot it!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed a couple of bear and I wouldn't drag one an inch. I carry a pack frame and enough game bags to handle whatever I'm hunting. On bear I use the gutless method and skin out one side to the paws and cut the feet off and then bone the meat. Roll it over and repeat the process. After it is skinned up to the head I cut the head off and roll the hide up and put it in a game bag. Leave the bones and guts where it fell. Figure 2 or 3 loads on the pack frame to get it out of the woods and into coolers.

Boning and skinning cuts the weight down, helps it cool quicker and protects the hide.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Spike

My state is requires us not to divide a bear more that 5 pieces before registration.........poor logic but thats the law. Yes quartering seems the most sensible at this point.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cbul
My state is requires us not to divide a bear more that 5 pieces before registration.........poor logic but thats the law. Yes quartering seems the most sensible at this point.

Thanks
Four quarters and one skin make 5 pieces which means you would be legal. Pack frame is the answer. if you can walk in you can pack the game out on a frame. I do it all the time for deer, elk and bear. If you quarter it you'll need a good folding bone saw. I like boning because all I need is a knife and I can take feet and heads off by cutting through natural joints in the bone.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

In PA you have to check the bear in whole, it can be gutted, that's all though. If you have to drag it, use a cart, sled, tarp, try to protect it somehow.
-Jake
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
In PA you have to check the bear in whole, it can be gutted, that's all though. If you have to drag it, use a cart, sled, tarp, try to protect it somehow.
-Jake
Yeah, but the OP ain't in PA, he's in WI and says he can piece it down. Packing game out on a frame is a whole lot easier than dragging game through the woods.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
-Jake
See Bold.
-Jake
Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Spike

I have looked at some plastic rolled up game draggers but never used one.
Anybody use one?

Years ago I used a kids sled for deer with some success. But I really never cared about hair on a hide before .

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cbul
I have looked at some plastic rolled up game draggers but never used one.
Anybody use one?

Years ago I used a kids sled for deer with some success. But I really never cared about hair on a hide before .

Thanks in advance!
I've used something similar (med-sled), as well as a simple tarp. I really like a game cart if the terrain permits.

For myself, I just gut them, and drag them to the truck. Where I have ice waiting to cool it down. If you are going to cut it up. Think about cooling it down first. Maybe soak it in a nearby stream.

Remember, a bear has fur as opposed to hair. So, it'll take more abuse than a deer's hide will. Good Luck!

ATB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.