Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fenced in hunting?

Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My answer will always be no to any high fence area. It makes it simple that way.
You have made that very clear more than once Pete. The last time we really had a discussion on this subject I asked what people think about hunting on an island of questionable size that limits the animal from escape just like a fence would if it wasn't water and nobody seemed to have any problem with that! Seems a little hypocritical to me to say a person would hunt a 10,000 acre island and think it was fair chase, but if it was a high fence then God forbid because you've committed a sacrilege!!! Think about that one a little bit!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You have made that very clear more than once Pete. The last time we really had a discussion on this subject I asked what people think about hunting on an island of questionable size that limits the animal from escape just like a fence would if it wasn't water and nobody seemed to have any problem with that! Seems a little hypocritical to me to say a person would hunt a 10,000 acre island and think it was fair chase, but if it was a high fence then God forbid because you've committed a sacrilege!!! Think about that one a little bit!
I know guys who actually run dogs (small beagles) here on several marsh islands no bigger then 10 acres, only difference I could see, would be the deer have swam to the island from the half mile wide inlet and can swim away from the island. Though I agree with you for the most part, the only difference is one can still attempt to go beyond that range if they so choose, the other cannot without trying to tear down the fence. I see no issue giving enough land though.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You still don't get it. It's not just the fence in a high fenced area. It's the people who run the ranch that make the hunting easy.

When you hunt public land. Is somebody driving you to where the elk are?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You still don't get it. It's not just the fence in a high fenced area. It's the people who run the ranch that make the hunting easy.

When you hunt public land. Is somebody driving you to where the elk are?

IMHO you're way too fixated on your idea that someone is going to help someone else so much that it makes the hunting easy just because of a fence. That may be the case in a very small acreage and then I would agree with you. However, we're talking about a very large place where the animal can move about wherever and whenever it wants to in it's core area and is as wild as if the fence wasn't there because there is no supplemental feeding and the animal isn't accustomed to human presence. That core area will vary a lot from place to place depending on cover, water, feed, etc., so it really makes what we're talking about impossible to come up with a set answer. That's the reason I made reference to the fact that it wouldn't make any difference where I hunt if there was a fence or not. If the core area is big enough for it's protection the animal would never have any reason to get near the fence if there was one and in these large areas it's my contention that the animal would never have any idea the fence is there.

Now regarding your last question about public land, I'll answer it with a question back to you based on something that happened to me last year. I met a guy from CA that camped right next to me about 7 miles from where I hunt every year and we hit it off when we met. He had a bull tag that took a lot of PPs to draw and had never been in the area. A friend of mine from Ohio came in with a cow tag for the area and I had already scouted and found a herd of 200 elk the day before they got there to take my friend out to fill his tag. I asked the guy if he would like to accompany us opening morning to have a good chance at filling his tag and he said yes. I took them out the next morning and the herd was still right where I had found them. We set up on them and when shooting light came they both filled their tags. Was that a fair chase hunt seeing as how I took them out on that public land, got them both onto nice animals based on my previous scouting, and all they did was pull the trigger?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

They got a free guided hunt. Fair chase yes, but they didn't do the hunt.

Different subject than high fence hunting. You can imagine how I feel about guided hunts too.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

They got a free guided hunt. Fair chase yes, but they didn't do the hunt.

Different subject than high fence hunting. You can imagine how I feel about guided hunts too.
You missed the whole thing as usual! My point was that we were on public land with no fence and the animals were still there in their core area. The guys may have been able to find them with a little work on their own and maybe not. Yep, I guess if everybody doesn't hunt solo on your 23 million acres of CO public land with a BP ML with open sights like you do it just isn't hunting, LOL! Take care and I should have known not to get involved in this discussion to begin with!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-02-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't miss anything. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

I've noticed you enjoy making smart azz comments though. I'm not surprised you get along with flags.

Now it's your turn to come back with some more insults. It's your style. I'm real close to putting you on ignore, so don't be surprised if I don't answer your posts.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't miss anything. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

I've noticed you enjoy making smart azz comments though. I'm not surprised you get along with flags.

Now it's your turn to come back with some more insults. It's your style. I'm real close to putting you on ignore, so don't be surprised if I don't answer your posts.
I could give a rip whether you give me an answer I agree with or not. It also was no surprise the way your debating turns ugly and you blame it on everyone else when it was YOU that came back with this less than stellar comment to me: "This conversation is stupid! Take a stand. Don't be half azz."

Now you have the nerve to post what you did above in that last post! If you can't debate without posting crap like that just because you don't agree with someone, you may want to leave the website AGAIN, rather than just putting me on Ignore, LOL! Your comment about Flags bringing him up out on the open Forum also tells me something considering what you already said in your PM a couple days ago and was just meant to pizz me off and possibly get him involved in another pizzing match because he also disagrees with you on various topics. He may be a little abrasive in some of his posts, but no more than you or some of the rest of us. Pot calling the kettle black is what you do all the time Pete and this thread was another good example of it! You should have taken your own advice and not been involved in this thread!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-02-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to give you an example of why you're like flags, because he did the same thing.

I gave my opinion on how I felt about high fence ranches. I did it because it was asked, and the topic. You turned it around, and said if someone doesn't hunt my way they aren't hunting. This is your actual quote:

"Yep, I guess if everybody doesn't hunt solo on your 23 million acres of CO public land with a BP ML with open sights like you do it just isn't hunting"

Now, you show me where I ever mentioned anything about that? In any thread. Not just this one. You won't find it, because I don't say anything like that. Flags said the same thin g to me. A couple of others did too. I guess it's what some of you say when you're losing an argument. I think it's childish, but it does show what type of person you all are that do it.

Yes, this conversation got stupid, and you brought it on. When someone says they're done post on the subject. Why do you continue to post to them, and ask questions. Then get all upset that they come back to answer your question. Then you don't like the answer, and throw out some childish insults, and accuse them of doing what you alone are doing? You have a warped way at looking at things. I've noticed this a lot in your posts on many forums. I looked past it, but now i'm directly involved, and see you for what you are.

Please don't post to me anymore. If you have more to say PM me so I can talk freely without getting banned.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't turn anything around and I don't need any examples from you! It was just my thought on how you were being childish and wasn't said until right near the end where you wouldn't even listen to my posts and said so in a couple of yours. The reason I said it is whenever a thread comes up about different ways of hunting you are pretty adamant that the only true hunting is the way you do it on public land by still hunting with a ML. It's either said right out that way or insinuated between the lines when people read your posts. It would seem that if you're saying a number of people have told you the same thing that Flags and I have like you just said in your post that you would be smart enough to realize that just maybe the blame lies with you and not all the others making the same comment about you that you're now calling childish---DUH! Finally, I'll post wherever and whenever I want to and nothing requires that you respond or even join in a thread. I'm not at all upset and told you that you should have taken your own advice and not continued on if you don't want to have a debate with varying opinions and keep it nice. Nobody is forcing you to make posts! If you're going to get all upset like you obviously are and turn a thread ugly, don't blame it on me and then start saying I'm the same as others and blame all of us when maybe it's you that needs to look in the mirror! I'm also not going to get into PMs with you because if you can't put proper thoughts and behave on the thread there is no reason to let you express things in a nasty way in a PM just so you won't get banned. Grow up!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.