Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Fenced in hunting?

Old 07-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing left to say to you. I didn't answer your question, because it's a stupid question, but I will anyway.

How much ground can I cover in one day of elk hunting? If you're the elk hunter you claim to be you should know that elk won't be in every square mile of the area. You don't need to walk the whole thing. That's what binos are for. You just need to find the elk. You also don't need to find them in one day.

Let me ask you. Do you think you could find the elk in that area? Another question that has no answer so far. How many elk are there? If you're the type of person who pays for hunts. Will you ask where the elk are? Can you do that on public land? Are elk on public land restricted in any way to stay in one area? Especially, when they're being pressured.

I thought you were a hunter dude? I never thought i'd see you defending a high fence hunt. Where do you draw the line? 10,000 acres are ok. How about 8,000 acres? Still ok? Where is your not ok number?

This conversation is stupid! Take a stand. Don't be half azz.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Do you think elk will be in all of it? How much of it do you think you'll have to actually hunt? Do you think the owner of the ranch knows where the elk are, and will tell you? How many elk will be in this 4 mile x 4 mile plot of land?

It's NOT fair chase hunting. The elk are trapped in the area. How long will it take you to find them?

Oh wait! I forgot you've never hunted for elk.

I don't care how big it is. High fence ranch hunting is not fair chase hunting. Justify it all you want. It is what it is.
I agree it aint fair chase but 10000 acres is a lot of space, no matter what your hunting.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the point. It's not fair chase. Nothing else should matter.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yup,thats your opinion and my opinion. Some others might have a different opinion and if that's the way want to hunt I personally don't care.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete, the whole point of my post is to try and show that you can't just make a blanket statement about whether it's a fair chase hunt or not even though B&C and P&Y don't consider it one if there is any high fence. That is because it's impossible to say what one is and another isn't because it can vary so much based on the animal, size of the acreage, terrain, cover, etc. That's exactly why B&C and P&Y took the size of the property out of the equation and just flat say no high fence. I do agree with their stance for their records. Your statements about where they may be or may not be and using binos is pretty accurate and exactly how we hunt and get on elk. We know the area over many years of hunting it to use that knowledge to our advantage and are successful because of it. If I took anyone else there it would take them a lot of time to get to know the area and have success like we do if they didn't hunt with us. I find your questions hard to answer because I don't understand what area you're even talking about. If I was to just hunt our area for the first time or two I would have a real problem taking an elk. In the area we hunt I only know of two bulls that have been taken by people other than in my party. We've probably taken 10 or 12 in that same time period. That's because the tags are hard to get and NRs that get the tags haven't hunted it and don't even know where to start. That's the point I was trying to make when I said if you fenced the area we hunt we would have no better chance than the way it is right now because most of the animals probably don't leave it for reasons I already mentioned. I have no idea how many animals are in the area we hunt, but it's a lot. However, if you're not in the right place at the right time to see them even with binos a person would have no idea the area is so good. I won't ever hunt a high fenced place, but those who do would probably ask for some tips from someone who knows the area. That would just be common sense and is exactly what's done on every hunting website when you're talking about people going on public land hunts where they've never been before. In conclusion, this discussion isn't stupid and I have taken a stand for as long as I've ever talked about this subject. My stance has always been that if a place has enough acreage and proper habitat such that the animal has the same advantages as it does with no fence, then I would consider it a fair chase hunt even though the animal wouldn't qualify for the book. I go for the pleasure of the experience and not the kill and would never hunt a place that would insure a kill. I also figured that if you made a few posts in this thread you'd get your panties in a wad and your last paragraph was exactly that. You probably should honor your other post and not say anything else because it's very obvious that if a person doesn't agree with you the thread does turn ugly just like that last paragraph you posted.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's because I can't seem to get my point across to you.

We're not talking about the area you hunt all of a sudden becoming a high fence ranch. We're talking about a real high fence ranch that happens to be 10,000 acres. I'm not sure that exists, but we're using it as an example.

Ok, I hope we're on the same page now. I'm going to guess this ranch has a lot of elk on it. Probably some trophy bulls. It cost a lot of money to hunt there. I really doubt someone paying big money is going to just be let loose to hunt the ranch. They're going to be either guided, or they'll be told where the elk are. The people who own the ranch, and the people who work on the ranch know where the elk are.

Under those conditions. Do you still think it's fair chase hunting on this 10,000 acre high fence ranch?

Now lets keep any personal comments about me out of your post, and just stick to the topic. The high fence ranch.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple answer now that we're on the same page---NO!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My only point was that all situations are different.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
My only point was that all situations are different.
That was exactly my point too! I hope after reading my post and then my No answer to the scenario that Pete asked about that things have been cleared up.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

My answer will always be no to any high fence area. It makes it simple that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.