Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

bullet recommendation?

Old 05-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Spike

Default bullet recommendation?

I will be going on my first black bear hunt in about three weeks, and have developed hand loads using both 180 grain accubonds and 168 grain tsx's on top of imr 4350. I will be shooting a Model 70 in 30-06. Both bullets shoot with very similar accuracy (the accubond just slightly better, but not enough to make a difference as shots are expected to be inside of 100 yards). I have never used either of these bullets on game and need help deciding between them.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either one will flatten a black bear. They are easy to kill with a properly placed shot. Choose whichever one that you are most comfortable with and go with it. I use 140 grain Hornady boat tails, and whatever I send them to falls down. If it's Grizz, then a partition gets the nod.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TSX works well if the impact velocity is high enough. 100 yards out of a .30-06 should be fine. However, my choice would be the 180 Accubond.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

They are both fine bullets. Put either one through his lungs, and you'll have your black bear.

The 168 gr TSX and 168 gr TTSX bullets are my favorite in my .300 Weatherby. I've used them on exotics in Texas, a couple of Montana bull elk, South African Plains Game, and New Zealand game.

Last edited by buffybr; 05-24-2014 at 03:49 PM.