Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk hunting

Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Elk don't always habitat 13 miles in the wilderness. Here's a thought. How many elk do you think are laying within a 100 yards of the road in thick cover as hunters drive right by them? It will surprise you. You may not always kill a trophy but you might kill more elk than the guys running up and down the road all day. The draw back is it takes a lot of knowledge on how elk move in the area to do this and do it on a regular basis. You just can't pick a spot and sit down you have to be in their normal traveling route between area's they like to maintain as habitat. It's a game of chess it really is.
Very wise post!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Spike

I've been researching Elk hunting a lot for DIY hunts but my dad is not in nearly the shape I am. With that said I have looked at guided hunts for him. You can find private ranches that most hunting is done on horse or driving in truck and you just need to be able to walk 1-2 miles on moderate terrain. You can also find some ranches in CO cow only 5th rifle that are generally easy hunts and very high success for around 1200 if you just want to meat hunt. With guided hunts you can get someone else to pack your meat out especially if they got horses so the guide way is best suited for the less athletic hunters.

Last edited by Elkhorn25; 04-03-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend a guide, not just for the hunting, but if you are DIY and get one, you still have to deal with moving 500-800 lbs of dead weight.

I've hunted with Shattuck Creek Outfitters in Idaho 3 times, they are lower elevation (3500 ft I believe at the lodge) and use ATV/trucks to get around. They use lots of tree stands if you want, some are walks in, some they can get an ATV right to, some are long/steep walks. They will cater to you.

On my second trip (the only one without my wife), I was paired with an older guy, which worked out fine because he tree stand hunted and me and the guide took off calling. One day he went calling/hiking and pretty much had a meltdown with a bull in his face, turns out he had heart issues he never told them about, they QUICKLY adjusted his hunting to be driven to tree stands and picked up. He came back the next year and shot a spike from one of the stands.

It can be done, but you need to be honest, both with yourself and the outfitter.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Spike

Many New Mexico land owner (cow) tags can be had for a fair price, considering ground beef is selling for 5 $ a pound at the grocery store! A lot of ranch hunts in western and central NM are on pretty level ground(compared to most elk country) and offer good opportunity's to hunt close to your truck. Land owner bull tags are a different story, big $$$ here in New Mexico. NM unit 15 is huge and offers a good hunt(Bow and Muzzleloader only) IF you can draw a tag and have the time to preseason scout.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

RWK:

There are many states with Impaired Hunters opportunities. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your search.