HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Alaskan Musk Ox Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/390343-alaskan-musk-ox-hunt.html)

AK Jeff 03-14-2014 08:41 PM

Alaskan Musk Ox Hunt

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pictures from a successful musk ox hunt last week in western Alaska. It was a great adventure, and got me to 9 of the Super 10. Even though musk ox are relatively easy to get within range of, the hunt itself had plenty of challenges. We had logistics challenges getting gear out, and we had to turn back one day in a white out blizzard. When we finally found a herd of bulls it took a long time before I was able to take a clean shot. Once ox form their defensive circle they don't like to break it. That long wait did provide an opportunity for some good pictures though.

This was an un-guided, transporter based hunt out of Mekoryuk, Alaska. The Chupik Eskimos of Mekoryuk are extremely friendly, and we had great time learning about their cultures and traditions.

AK Jeff 03-14-2014 08:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more...

AK Jeff 03-14-2014 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more...

AK Jeff 03-14-2014 09:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few post hunt recommendations...

For anybody planning a hunt on Nunivak I highly recommend James Whitman as a transporter. James is a great guy and we really enjoyed his company.

We tried out TAG bags new BOMB (Boned Out Meat Bags) to see if we could fit a whole boned out ox in these unbelievably light weight game bags. They worked great and we had over 250 pounds of meat.

I've worn Kenetrek boots for years and once again they didn't disappoint. Stayed warm and comfortable in extremely cold conditions.

If you've never caped a musk ox, consider yourself lucky. It's a miserable chore. Their horns grow right along their cheeks, making it extremely difficult to skin. Use a thin razor type knife to get in their without making a mess. I used a Havalon Piranta and it worked great.

AK Jeff 03-14-2014 09:32 PM

If you've never tried it, musk ox meat is fantastic. It's got to be the best red meat on the planet. I'd rather eat musk ox than Kobe beef and fresh king crab.

buffybr 03-16-2014 11:43 AM

Jeff, congrats on a great Muskox. It looks like it was a little chilly there. I hunted mine in the fall on a combo hunt with caribou, and the temperatures were much more civil. And yes, Muskox meat is good.

salukipv1 03-16-2014 01:47 PM

Good Job!

I definitely need a Musk Ox!

wyheadhunter 06-24-2014 02:36 AM

congratulations those are awesome photos. Looks the part of cold for sure.

Bocajnala 07-02-2014 04:48 PM

Cool hunt Jeff. I was in Fairbanks for the past two weeks. Pretty neat place!
-Jake

fzo 07-06-2014 03:49 AM

wow really nice. want to go to alaska one time too