HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   300 wby for deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/389561-300-wby-deer.html)

westernboy1996 02-08-2014 09:03 AM

300 wby for deer

I have just gotten a 300 wby mag in a colt sauer and was wandering what would a good bullet and grain size be the shots go from 50 yards to 800 yards I am interested in the barness bullets are they any good

flags 02-08-2014 09:19 AM

Rather than getting wrapped up with a particular bullet weight or brand, I suggest you shoot as many different weights and brands as you can and see what groups best in your rifle. Let that dictate what you use rather than any hype you see in a magazine or a forum. Deer simply aren't that tough and any modern 30 caliber soft point from 130 grs up that you stick into a deer's chest will kill the deer.

As to Barnes, yes they are a good bullet but that doesn't mean your rifle will shoot them well. Some rifles do well with them and some don't. Each rifle is an individual when it comes to things like that. For instance, I have a 7mm Mag that is spooky accurate with both Noslers and Hornadys but it won't group Barnes worth a darn. I handload and I have never been able to get a better group than 2 inches with the Barnes. Rather than continue to waste my time with the Barnes I simply load the Noslers and go hunting.

Tnhunter444 02-08-2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by westernboy1996 (Post 4121288)
I have just gotten a 300 wby mag in a colt sauer and was wandering what would a good bullet and grain size be the shots go from 50 yards to 800 yards I am interested in the barness bullets are they any good

Very nice rifle, congratulations! I'd think a 165gr Barnes TTSX (or similar) would be a very good bullet for what you've mentioned. I've used Barnes X bullets in 4 different calibers (chamberings) to take deer or hogs; .270, .308, 30/06 and .325WSM. In .270 I believe I used 130gr and in both .308 & 30/06 I used 150gr with 200gr in the .325. All worked very well on deer & hogs, even tho they are not "needed".

You shouldn't have any problems with the solid bullets "grenading" on you at WBY velocities and either 165 or perhaps 180gr would be best at the longest ranges with their higher BCs. If the Barnes Xs don't shoot well enough, I'd look to something like a Nosler Accubond or similar next. With shots as short as 50 yards and the very high velocities you'll be shooting at, a run of the mill cup & core bullet could blow up and make a mess. So I'd stick with at least a bonded bullet, myself.

Good Luck!

Ridge Runner 02-08-2014 09:32 AM

How much do you shoot at 800 yards?
RR

Big Uncle 02-08-2014 10:05 AM

If you like cleaning copper fouling frequently, and if yours is one of the rifles that shoots them well, an all copper bullet might work for you. I have used them on game from whitetails to kudu but I have not been completely satisfied. They worked, but none of my rifles gave really great accuracy with them. On hunts where I did a lot of shooting the fouling was a problem. After 15 rounds or so the fouling noticeably affected accuracy.

It has been my experience that the solid copper bullets do stay together very well and they penetrate well, but they need a fairly fast impact velocity to expand consistently.

Other guys have opposite opinions based on their experiences, but the all copper pill is not for me.

buffybr 02-08-2014 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4121291)
...I suggest you shoot as many different weights and brands as you can and see what groups best in your rifle...Deer simply aren't that tough and any modern 30 caliber soft point from 130 grs up that you stick into a deer's chest will kill the deer...

My .300 Weatherby Vanguard shoots 168 and 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets sub moa. It shoots 168 gr TTSX bullets better. That is my hunting bullet in that rifle for everything from 40 lb African antelope to bull elk.

The original Barnes bullets had a copper fouling problem. I've shot hundreds of Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby and .375 RUM, and have never had any copper fouling problems.

My practice bullets for my .300 Wby are 168 gr Hornady BTHPs. They also shoot sub moa out to 400 m. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with them.

I've never seen a big game animal at 800 yds that I couldn't sneak to at least half that distance for my shot. Most of the time if I see an animal at 400 yds that I want to shoot, I'll sneak to half that distance and make my shot. But I'm not on TV trying to sell a long range shooting system.

Bbj270 02-08-2014 11:06 AM

have two 300 wby a vanguard and a 700 classic both shot the rem 180 cor locks moa at 100 yards.

westernboy1996 02-08-2014 07:50 PM

I think I will choose nosler

flags 02-09-2014 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by westernboy1996 (Post 4121425)
I think I will choose nosler

Based on what? Have you shot them? Are they accurate in your rifle?

If the answer is yes to both those questions then Nosler is a good choice. If the answer is no and I don't know, then I'll point you to my first post. Before settling on a brand, shoot them and see how your rifle likes them.

westernboy1996 02-10-2014 11:04 AM

ok thanks i will try both of them out