Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Thoughts on this property as a hunter >

Thoughts on this property as a hunter

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thoughts on this property as a hunter

Old 01-31-2014, 05:52 AM
Spike

Default Thoughts on this property as a hunter

http://www.cohomefinder.com/p/81303/...o-CO-81303.htm

I'm new to Laplata County. The above link represents the top of my budget.

I don't know a lot about buying land in colorado. I know it's more complicated than buying out east via water shortage, and a number of issues.

What do you guys think of that property for the price? I know you can only say so much based on the limited information provided, but if you could give me some 101 that would be great.

Thanks...
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking that if you're coming on this website to ask us peons if that property is worth 2 1/2 million smackers that there is something rotten in Denmark, LOL! Might you be a real estate agent sneaking an illegal ad in here, rather than just an interested buyer of property that any ten of us probably couldn't go together and buy?!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-31-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

No question it is spam. They are getting sneakier. The first time I saw that kind of "ad" I actually answered the guys question. Silly me!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Spike

Not spam. i'm new to land out here. I've lurked this site for a while, noticed several members have in-depth knowledge of elk ranch operations/land requirements and took a shot in the dark.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, right! A 2 1/2 million dollar shot in the dark!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know mountain ranches are getting very expensive and 2.5 is not crazy anymore, but from strictly the viewpoint as a hunter I would pass on this one. The property looks good with the water and road access. It is a nice ranch, but for the same price there are better hunting properties.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're either a real estate agent trying to drum up business or you're another displaced transplant from CA that is hellbent on destroying my native CO. No matter which one of the 2 you are, my reply is the same: GO AWAY!

Here's why I think you're a realtor: Nobody comes to a forum who really wants to be part of the forum and makes their very first post along these lines! No introduction. No "Hi, how are you". No "I'm mostly a deer hunter". Anyone that leads off with a business type post has an agenda and that agenda isn't hunting!

Last edited by flags; 02-01-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Prob is an ad. I know where that ranch is, been by it a lot yrs ago. Nice place if you have the $kins for it.

If you buy land in Colo you better make sure you have WATER FIRST, before you go gaga over the place and the price. SW COlo land near Dgo is pricey. Other places are cheaper. But darn sure if you go for the 40ac for 39,000.00 deal somewhere you ask about water FIRST. All water in COlo is privately owned once God turns it loose. Even collection barrels off your spouting( a common thing back east) are illegal if you don't have water rights. You don't want to end up in water court. Good luck.

Last edited by SILVERTIP-CO; 02-01-2014 at 06:13 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are not really a hunter if you are willing to spend that much money on 455 acres. Could buy a LOT more land for that kind of money so NO, this is not a hunting property. As stated, just stop listing your ads here.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yea, right! A 2 1/2 million dollar shot in the dark!!!
No. Did I say I was settling on this property this wednesday? No. Clearly implicit in my post is that I'm in the 101 stages of researching. I posted the aforementioned property because it's the top of my price range in the area I want to buy. That's all. I'm more just trying to get a feel for what to look for..general region-specific advice from people not employed in real estate.
Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I know mountain ranches are getting very expensive and 2.5 is not crazy anymore, but from strictly the viewpoint as a hunter I would pass on this one. The property looks good with the water and road access. It is a nice ranch, but for the same price there are better hunting properties.
Thanks. Could you tell me why you think it's over-priced? I've looked elsewhere in the general area and I think it's about average based on my 101-level knowledge/interpretation of various water codes, etc.

Any info would be helpful.
Originally Posted by flags
You're either a real estate agent trying to drum up business or you're another displaced transplant from CA that is hellbent on destroying my native CO. No matter which one of the 2 you are, my reply is the same: GO AWAY!

Here's why I think you're a realtor: Nobody comes to a forum who really wants to be part of the forum and makes their very first post along these lines! No introduction. No "Hi, how are you". No "I'm mostly a deer hunter". Anyone that leads off with a business type post has an agenda and that agenda isn't hunting!

Who do you think you are?

"My" Colorado?

Are you Native American? Part of a tribe that called Colorado home before the white man? No? Then simmer down with the aggressive "my Colorado" stuff. It's not yours. Never was, never will be. Ugh. I despise people with your delusionally smug attitude. Land belongs to the highest bidder and the winner of wars...just like all lands since the beginning of time. Your not special because you've been here a while and lack the ambition to move around.

I'm not from California I'm from Kentucky. I'm a normal guy who came into some money through hard work, spent some time in Colorado and loved it. I want to buy land in La Plata County because it's beautiful and amazing and probably my favorite place on Earth.

I came into this thread w/ the best of intentions but clearly a few of you guys have issues w/ money and took your own personal issues as a chance to rip on the new guy. I issue no apologies for my posts...I asked an honest question w/ the best intentions nothin' more. I appreciate this resource, have enjoyed reading various threads by members talking about their elk hunts, so I thought what the hell I'll ask these fella's, only to get hit with sh** like this? With every intention of letting personal friends and future friends via this forum hunt their hearts out on my land for free?

Piss off. Truly.
Originally Posted by SILVERTIP-CO
Prob is an ad. I know where that ranch is, been by it a lot yrs ago. Nice place if you have the $kins for it.

If you buy land in Colo you better make sure you have WATER FIRST, before you go gaga over the place and the price. SW COlo land near Dgo is pricey. Other places are cheaper. But darn sure if you go for the 40ac for 39,000.00 deal somewhere you ask about water FIRST. All water in COlo is privately owned once God turns it loose. Even collection barrels off your spouting( a common thing back east) are illegal if you don't have water rights. You don't want to end up in water court. Good luck.
Thanks sir. I've contacted the realtor and the water rights for this particular property are outstanding. City based. I'm struggling to figure out what my next resource should be. I've contacted a few local farmers, nice guys, but very shy..tough to get info on the local area on all fronts..
Originally Posted by txhunter58
You are not really a hunter if you are willing to spend that much money on 455 acres. Could buy a LOT more land for that kind of money so NO, this is not a hunting property. As stated, just stop listing your ads here.
Not listing ads. Just doing research.

I know I can do better in the northwest corner of Colorado. But for elk-heavy land, I don't know where I can a lot better all things considered. I'd love it if you could tell me where you think you'd buy in that price range if Colorado elk hunting was your priority.

Thanks.

Last edited by brianinco; 02-01-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.