HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Colorado Elk hunt 2015 help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/389010-colorado-elk-hunt-2015-help.html)

kpatte26 01-15-2014 01:14 PM

Colorado Elk hunt 2015 help

Myself and a co-worker are planning a 2015 archery elk hunt. There are a few things we both need to purchase so I figure maybe some of you could help us out! We will be hunting in Unit 45 so we would also like to know of any archery shops in the area just in case something happens to our bows that neither of us can fix in the field.
The first thing we are looking to buy is elk calls... It seems the Hoochie mam comes highly recommended so that will be a given when it comes to one call we will purchase. What would any of you guys recommend for bugles? Why would you recommend that call?
What about GPS units? What are your thoughts on the GPShunt cards that you can purchase?
Why would you recommmend the archery shop you mention?

txhunter58 01-16-2014 03:51 AM

Do yourself a favor and get some videos from Elknut.com These will not be hutning videos with a little advice thrown in like most that you see. What he tells you is what elk are saying and what to say back. Best money you will ever spend.

As far as extra equipement for the bow itself. I have never needed them, but always carry a spare set of cables and bowstring, just in case.

I carry 3 calls, because you never know what will turn up a bull. The absolute best if you can master it is the diaphragm mouth call. Basically a glorified turkey diaphragm. If you have ever called turkeys with one, it should be easy. Otherwise there is a definate learning curve, but there is no other call that can make the variety of calls you need to sound "real". My second call is a Primos hyperlip single. It is a blow call, and takes a bit to master, but is a good one. I also have a hoocie mamma as a backup, but don't use it near as often as the other two.

COEngineer 02-07-2014 10:21 AM

CO res

Any GPS unit is better than none. Any modern GPS unit is better than any 10 yr old one. I like the new touch-screen ones (I have the Oregon 450?). I prefer waterproof and lightweight. If you are tech savvy, you can download land ownership and topo maps from gpsfiledepot.com for free. If you are computer illiterate, the $100 for the gps hunt maps is a pretty good deal. Knowing for sure that you are on public land and hunting legally is worth it in reduced stress.

I use the Hoochie Mama b/c it is simple. I agree with tx that the diaphragm calls are the best and most versatile, plus they free up your hands for other stuff, like shooting elk, but they take time and effort to master. Bugling in a big bull is really exciting and fun, but is not nearly as easy as it looks on TV. I use a call as a last-chance effort or to stop an elk that is within range.

Just get out there and enjoy it. Your chances of actually tagging an elk with an archery license are quite low, but if you have the right attitude going into it, you will have some great memories. Taking elk meat home is just gravy on top.

One more thing - Get in Shape! No matter where you live, hiking up and down mountains is physically demanding. If you are coming from a lower altitude, it is that much harder. Being in shape will multiply your enjoyment.