Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Full Sized Polar Bear Mount >

Full Sized Polar Bear Mount

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Full Sized Polar Bear Mount

Old 01-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default Full Sized Polar Bear Mount

I'm looking to purchase a full sized polar bear mount, like the one in the Addams Family, but wanted to know if there was any way to legally do this in the United States?

I am fully aware of the 1970's Marine Animal Act, but wanted to know if recently anybody has successfully gotten one across state lines.

Would patrol confiscate this kind of thing (or even years later knocking on the door at my house) or just levy a fine that I would have to pay?

I am looking at some beautiful incredible white mounts in Canada at around $20,000.

I have the utmost respect for the animal and have wanted to own one ever since I was a kid.

Any tips and/or suggestions from pros who own one would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Correct me if I'm wrong but any animal on cites can not be legally purchased (in the us) or brought into the us, and would result in some serious problems for all parties. My understanding they are starting a lawsuit to be able to bring in old mounts from hunter but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited by bchunts; 01-08-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It never ceases to amaze me that people come on internet websites and ask legal or medical questions! Go ask the Feds for an answer because the best answer you might get here is from somebody that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week, LOL!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS SORT OF THING!

Such a thing may be legal to purchase but there will have to be a lot paperwork and permits in order to do it legally. Just because the mount exists legally in Canada does not mean it can be imported since Canadian and American law differ on items such as this. There were only a few areas in Canada that Americans were allowed to import polar bear from. If the mount in question did not originate in one of those areas and isn't what is termed "vintage" then you won't get the permits and you would be an idiot to try and smuggle it across the border without them.

Several years ago I was on safari in Cameroon and was given the opportunity to add an elephant to my safari for $3000. For an elephant, that is a bargain. However, it was and still is illegal to import the tusks from Cameroon into the USA despite the fact that taking the animal was legal and that Cameroon has a lot of elephant. Cameroon has applied through CITES for the permission to export sport hunter taken tusks as trophies but the USF&WS has not endorsed it. So, because I could not export the tusks I passed on the elephant. This is an example of where something legal in one country is not legal in another.

If you really want a polar bear, go to the website for Superior Animal Brokers. This guy buys and sells mounts nationwide from estates and private sellers. He will probably be able to supply one and if it comes through him you can be assured the paperwork will be in order. If you try to do it yourself through Canada it is very easy to get busted under the Lacey Act since the FEDs have listed the polar bear as a "threatened" species.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Spike

Thank you for the valuable information. I will call him tomorrow & see what can be done. Again this is great information you've provided.

http://www.furcanada.com/wildlife-mo...olar-bear.html

If you run a search on Huntingnet.com or google images too many of the older mounts look yellow. Almost like they've been peed on. Upon further online searching I couldn't help but notice these bears at FurCanada. I mean the whites on these bears is so brilliantly white. The whitest I've ever seen.

I'm a huge animal conservationist myself and would be looking for a bear that was dressed either by way from a zoo or died of natural causes out in the wild. NOT shot and taken in.

Anyways I will take your advice and talk to a dealer/auctioneer in the States before looking elsewhere.

Originally Posted by flags
BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS SORT OF THING!

Such a thing may be legal to purchase but there will have to be a lot paperwork and permits in order to do it legally. Just because the mount exists legally in Canada does not mean it can be imported since Canadian and American law differ on items such as this. There were only a few areas in Canada that Americans were allowed to import polar bear from. If the mount in question did not originate in one of those areas and isn't what is termed "vintage" then you won't get the permits and you would be an idiot to try and smuggle it across the border without them.

Several years ago I was on safari in Cameroon and was given the opportunity to add an elephant to my safari for $3000. For an elephant, that is a bargain. However, it was and still is illegal to import the tusks from Cameroon into the USA despite the fact that taking the animal was legal and that Cameroon has a lot of elephant. Cameroon has applied through CITES for the permission to export sport hunter taken tusks as trophies but the USF&WS has not endorsed it. So, because I could not export the tusks I passed on the elephant. This is an example of where something legal in one country is not legal in another.

If you really want a polar bear, go to the website for Superior Animal Brokers. This guy buys and sells mounts nationwide from estates and private sellers. He will probably be able to supply one and if it comes through him you can be assured the paperwork will be in order. If you try to do it yourself through Canada it is very easy to get busted under the Lacey Act since the FEDs have listed the polar bear as a "threatened" species.

Last edited by BLOFELD; 01-08-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think the only thing you could do at this point is buy one that is already in the USA that was shot before the ban. But, as you stated before, these would be very old mounts and would probably look like crap.

Not sure about the whole zoo thing. I know a taxidermist that purchased a tiger from a zoo that had died of natural causes. I think it still cost him about $30,000 and he mounted it himself. This is going to be a challenge. An original Shelby Cobra in mint condition will probably be easier to find and cheaper.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
An original Shelby Cobra in mint condition will probably be easier to find and cheaper.
Those are easy to find. Just check out Hemmings Auto Classifieds. Affording it however is another thing entirely!

They have just about any car made. There is a Morgan Roadster on there I'd love to have. If I wasn't married and didn't have to answer to anyone, I'd already own it.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's like time and money. You either have one or the other. But never both at the same time.

Agreed, it will be harder to find that polar bear. At any cost, it will be tough. Maybe have it sent from Canada to Mexico. Then you could just drive it across the border in the back of a pick-up.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
It never ceases to amaze me that people come on internet websites and ask legal or medical questions! Go ask the Feds for an answer because the best answer you might get here is from somebody that stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last week, LOL!
I happen to be an expert on all aspects of federal law related to wildlife issues except those concerning polar bears. I missed the last refresher on polar bear issues.
And BTW...... I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. !!

Any questions about migratory bird laws?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could you take a black bear to the hair dresser and ask to get the hair frosted? Like that guy on the cooking shows, Guy Fierri?

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 01-09-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I spelled a word wrong and it looked stupid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.