HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Midwest Cougar or East Coast bear hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/388654-midwest-cougar-east-coast-bear-hunt.html)

coolbrze0 01-05-2014 03:53 AM

Midwest Cougar or East Coast bear hunt

I'd love to do a Mid-West Cougar hunt and/or an East Coast black bear hunt next year. Possibly cougar this winter. Anyone here guide or know someone that guides?

flags 01-05-2014 05:10 AM

Mid-West cougar? As in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri etc...? I don't think you'll find any cougar hunts in the mid-west. The Rocky Mountain states? Yep. The South West? Yep. The Pacific North West? Yep. Canada? Yep,

You are aware that you can hunt black bear in VA aren't you? I've seen a lot of them in the Shenandoah Valley and in the Dismal Swamp area.

Bullcamp82834 01-05-2014 06:30 AM

I know there have been reported cougar sightings in Midwest states but are there hunting seasons? Maybe we should define what "midwest" means for purposes of this discussion.

car 01-05-2014 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by flags (Post 4113617)
Mid-West cougar? As in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri etc...? I don't think you'll find any cougar hunts in the mid-west. The Rocky Mountain states? Yep. The South West? Yep. The Pacific North West? Yep. Canada? Yep,

You are aware that you can hunt black bear in VA aren't you? I've seen a lot of them in the Shenandoah Valley and in the Dismal Swamp area.

X2 with flags.

Also with the cougar hunts, some outfitters like to call you right after a fresh snow so you'll need to be flexible as to when you can leave for your hunt. I've never hunted bear in VA but, heard there is a good population. You might want to look at NC too!

coolbrze0 01-05-2014 07:46 AM

Guess West is better - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Topgun 3006 01-05-2014 08:18 AM

Now you're talking where you can get into some good cougar country!

SJAdventures 01-21-2014 03:11 PM

We offer an extremely good mountain lion hunt in Colorado. Email me for details.

Murdy 01-22-2014 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4113634)
I know there have been reported cougar sightings in Midwest states but are there hunting seasons? Maybe we should define what "midwest" means for purposes of this discussion.

No seasons. The occasional cougar wanders through Illinois. Once in a while, one ends up dead (hit by a car or train; one was shot in the northern suburbs of Chicago a few years back). But, I think you'd be hunting a long time if you set out to kill one around here. There's just not that many around -- yet. (We get the occasional wolf wandering down from Wisconsin, and at least one bear, but they are few and far between).