Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Non-resident OTC Colorado elk hunting unit help! >

Non-resident OTC Colorado elk hunting unit help!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Non-resident OTC Colorado elk hunting unit help!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Spike

Default Non-resident OTC Colorado elk hunting unit help!

Hey there, my father and I were looking to plan an out of state DIY elk hunt. We looked into many states and decided on Colorado. We have zero points so OTC tags are what we are looking at. We are both seasoned hunters in excellent physical condition, but we have never hunted in Colorado before nor have we hunted elk. We are not looking for a trophy. We want to hunt the unit that gives the best opportunity for success. We looked into many units specifically those in the White River National Forest and north western Colorado. We like the elk populations here, but heard it can become crowded with hunters. We will be hunting on public land without guides or horses. We will be on foot. Also we would be hunting in the 2nd or 3rd rifle season depending on unit choice. What unit, in your opinion, has the best opportunity for tagging an elk considering we will be hunting public land on foot in the 2nd or 3rd rifle season? Also what season has the best opportunity for success in that unit? Any info will be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration.

Thank you, John Pulskamp
Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want the best chance for taking an elk, get cow tags. Just because you don't have any points doesn't mean you have to hunt with an OTC bull tag. There are lots of units that don't require any points to draw a cow tag. You can go to the DOW website and research preference points and the hunting recaps and see where you can get tags. Cows are better eating too. Generally speaking the later in the season the better. Snow makes elk hunting a lot easier that hot dry weather does.

I've do most of my elk hunting in the northwest part of the state. This would be around Unit 3. There is a huge elk herd there and a lot of public land. The town of Craig is pretty good sized and will have everything you would need. There is also a DOW office in Craig and it might be worth your time to call them and ask to talk to a big game biologist now that the season is over. They can tell you about the hunting in the area and might even give tips on where to hunt. The game wardens will also know if any ranchers are having trouble with elk in the hay meadows and if they are willing to let hunters in. Getting on private land for cows isn't too difficult but trophy bulls are another story.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cow elk hunting is a good way to go. You get to hunt the same beautiful country as you would with a bull hunt and a new (or old) elk hunter has a good chance of filling their tag. Open area (OTC) units have a large number of orange vests on public ground and it is tough to get away from them if you are on foot and do not know the country very well.
I have taken a fair number of both bull and cow elk and at this point I enjoy hunting cows better.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to advise people to go for a cow hunt as a second choice to get familar with the area while gaining a point. However, looks like they will be cutting down on the cow tags, so drawing one as a second choice would not be a given like in the past. And the price of a cow tag has gone up $200 in the last 4 years, so the price difference is not as big as it once was. Cow is $450 bull is $600. So you might consider researching a unit where you might draw a bull or either sex tag with 0 points. They are out there. You can apply for a first season bull or either sex tag as a first choice where you have a chance to draw, and a cow tag as a second choice. Wherever you decide, if it is on public land, it will be a crapshoot for animals and hunter numbers. You might consider a trespass hunt. That is the only way to have a good chance to avoid hunter numbers. But that would add $1500-2500 more for each of you, and that would not be for a trophy ranch.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be more clear about applying, I am recommending applying for the first rifle season. That season generally is during when elk are still rutting and not only do they limit hunter numbers by making it a drawing only, but it is an elk only season, no deer hunters. In the 2nd or 3rd OTC seasons, there will be deer hunters. As an example 100% of applicants with 0 points drew a bull tag for the 1st rifle season last year in unit 3.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Spike

Thank you, I like the idea of drawing a tag with zero points for the first rifle season! What are some of the better units I can draw with zero points? And what are the chances of me drawing those units?
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cali_outdoorsman
Thank you, I like the idea of drawing a tag with zero points for the first rifle season! What are some of the better units I can draw with zero points? And what are the chances of me drawing those units?
Again, go to the CO DOW website, research preference points and the hunter recaps. The info is there for you to investigate on your own. The recaps show the number of tags available, how many people applied for them and what preference points are required.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tatistics.aspx