HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   My first elk. Dec. 27. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/388492-my-first-elk-dec-27-a.html)

moosehunter30 12-30-2013 05:58 AM

My first elk. Dec. 27.

This year I drew a late season antler less elk draw. I got permission from a farmer to hunt his property where according to him there was a herd of 60-70 tearing apart his bales. On the morning of the 27th I walked 500 yards down the road in the dark and then snuck into position on the property. The elk had a trail packed on the north side of the property where they were leaving the field in the morning. Nothing showed up other than a dozen whitetails, so I walked right into the yard and found out the farmer out up an elk fence the day before to keep them out. I went back to my friends house where we are staying and he told us the elk were in his field that morning while me and my dad were gone. The small band of elk that hang around his place usually hang around for a few days and then leave for a few weeks. The last time he saw this herd was December 9, so we knew they would be back. Sure enough in the last 30 minutes of shooting time they came out again and we ranged them at 600 yards. Moved the custom turret on the huskema scope for 600 yards and I took a practice dry fire shot at the cow I picked out. Click, crosshairs perfect on her shoulder. Put a live round in and shot. I knew I hit her hard as the rest of the elk started to go while she stood in the same spot. My dad had a tag as well so I passed the 300 RUM to him. The elk had no idea where the shot came from and were running at an angle and closed the distance to 500 yards. Got the scope turret turned back for 500 yards and my dad dropped one on the run. Meanwhile my elk is still standing in the same spot so I took the gun back,
Got it set up for 600 yards again and settled the crosshairs on my elk. Held steady behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. No reaction. Put another shell in and held for a high shoulder/spine shot.
Squeezed the trigger for the 3rd time and dropped her. We left the elk for 2 hours while one of my dads friends got us a snow machine. I never got the chance to take nice field photos; however, my dad took some pictures in the barn after we pulled them out with the sled. I did take some field pics of mine with my phone when I found her.

Topgun 3006 12-30-2013 08:14 AM

Well, I'll probably catch heck for this comment from some members, but why would anyone shoot at a running animal at 500 yards?!!! Geez Louise!!! The last two pictures of the hunters with the cows are fine, but I also am wondering why the other pictures needed to be posted. What gun and caliber are you shooting?

Big Uncle 12-30-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4112254)
Well, I'll probably catch heck for this comment from some members, but why would anyone shoot at a running animal at 500 yards?!!! Geez Louise!!!

Maybe an unpopular position, but I completely agree. Also let the first cow suffer a while before finishing her from the first less-than-perfect shot. These kind of stories just leave me cold.

moosehunter30 12-30-2013 08:36 AM

Well, I'll probably catch heck for this comment from some members, 1but why would anyone shoot at a running animal at 500 yards?!!! Geez Louise!!! 2 The last two pictures of the hunters with the cows are fine, but I also am wondering why the other pictures needed to be posted. 3 What gun and caliber are you shooting?

1 - Because the shooter and rifle are clearly capable
2 - Because I took lots of pictures and wanted to post them
3 - Custom Rocky Mountain Rifle built by Corlanes in Dawson Creek BC 300RUM.

moosehunter30 12-30-2013 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4112258)
Maybe an unpopular position, but I completely agree. Also let the first cow suffer a while before finishing her from the first less-than-perfect shot. These kind of stories just leave me cold.

You don't know where I hit her, so how can you say the shot was less than perfect? Have you ever had an animal run after you shoot it through the lungs? Well this one didn't run. It stood there for the 15-20 seconds it took for my dad to knock his down before I shot it again.

Topgun 3006 12-30-2013 08:53 AM

1---Baloney!!! The rifle might be a tack driver on paper, but that doesn't mean squat when shooting a running animal at 500 yards. You dang sure aren't shooting AT the animal at that yardage to hit it when it's running!
2---IMHO the other pictures served no purpose, but to each his own.
3---That's nice!

Now as to your retort about him not knowing where it was hit. You didn't either at 600 yards and if was standing there that long IMHO it should have immediately been shot again without waiting for another animal to be wacked at running before finishing the job. As Big Uncle stated in his post, not only does stuff like this make me cold, but it also shows a lack of respect for both animals in this case! No need to reply because you've already proved with your other answers that you aren't among the biggest percentage of hunters by doing what you did. I wonder which animal went down that was running compared to what was being attempted at that distance.

Bullcamp82834 12-30-2013 11:00 AM

Well, I'll probably catch heck for this comment from some members, but why would anyone shoot at a running animal at 500 yards?!!! Geez Louise!!! The last two pictures of the hunters with the cows are fine, but I also am wondering why the other pictures needed to be posted. What gun and caliber are you shooting?

At least there isn't a cheezy video to go with the heroic tale, like that other dude that posted on here a couple weeks ago.
Come to think of it, we haven't heard from that guy since we didn't applaud his self absorbed tales of daring exploits in the untamed American wilderness.

Big Uncle 12-30-2013 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834 (Post 4112296)
At least there isn't a cheezy video to go with the heroic tale, like that other dude that posted on here a couple weeks ago.
Come to think of it, we haven't heard from that guy since we didn't applaud his self absorbed tales of daring exploits in the untamed American wilderness.

Do you mean the brave mule deer sniper? "Send it!"

Bullcamp82834 12-30-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Uncle (Post 4112313)
Do you mean the brave mule deer sniper? "Send it!"

Actually I was thinking of the intrepid whitetail slayer who was so enamored of the blood trail created by his .308.

finnbear 12-30-2013 05:18 PM

What gave me pause was, who the heck goes hunting with one rifle for two people??
BUT I will cal BS on the 15 to 20 seconds from son shooting to father taking rifle adjusting BDC shooting watching elk fall, handing rifle back son readjusting BDC back to 600 yds and shooting again................plus why take the time to fiddle with the turret when you are in a ever changing range situation???
I would think that we are getting what is a spiced up version, that this individual thinks we want to hear to make it more exciting!
Best hunt I had was when the elk walked within 75yds of the suburban as we were getting out! Dropped within 50yds of the rd. great hunt!!!!!!