Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My first elk. Dec. 27.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Hahaha typical American responses! If any of you posted this type of disrespectful **** on Alberta outdoorsmen you would get banned real quick! My elk was standing my dads was running. I won't question him if he wants to shoot a running animal. You all call me a liar even though none of you know me. All completely uneducated. Look up albertaoutdoorsmen forum and read my thread. Read the responses. Huge difference between polite Canadians and arrogant Americans. I live in Lethbridge on college campus unit r1 if any of you tough guys wanna talk about it.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
OH mr moosey you done did it now... not only are you a liar and a idiot, you make fun of calling me a road hunter....how does me driving up parking and getting out pulling all my kit out and shouldering my pack and gun and then have a bunch of elk walk by equate to me being a road hunter????? I think that was a pretty lucky day for me... I did NOT shoot from the road yes I was near the road, but I was not in my vehicle nor did I spot the animal from my rig!!! You just continually dig a bigger and messier hole for your lies!!! BUT I can show you my Disabled persons permit if you'd like to see it!!! You really should maybe stop and think a bit before ya post here, you know nothing about us, BUT you continually enlighten us about your up bringing and moral compass....I'm sure your dad is real proud!!!!! you are starting to sound like a kid that was in here ....what was his mname??? Genesis or some such come in here braggin about the 400yd head shot he made on his elk, and then got upset when we called BS on him!!!! I'm done with this idiot
Here in Canada we call people like you weekend road warriors.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by moosehunter30
Here in Canada we call people like you weekend road warriors.
The man is disabled! Didn't you catch that part? Or are you just choosing to ignore it? Have you no respect? I find it humorous that in your initial post the farthest you mention being away from a vehicles is 500 yards and you state you shot the elk in a man's hay meadow yet now seem to want to try and play this as some sort of strenuous wilderness excursion by criticizing the way a disabled man hunts! Yeah, that will win you a lot of support.

Here in America we call people like you fools and braggarts. I've spent a lot of time in Canada and I'm glad that the attitude you're displaying isn't common there, but then you look pretty young and probably still have some growing up to do. You're now trying to come off like you are some highly experienced world traveled hunter and pseudo "wannabe" tough guy by saying: "I live in Lethbridge on college campus unit r1 if any of you tough guys wanna talk about it." Well I was raised in the mountains of CO and I'm over 50 years old. I guarantee you I can out walk you, out run you, probably out shoot you and without a doubt could hand you your butt in a fight. But then, I've been in the military for the last 25 years (which is longer than you've been alive by the looks of your photo especially since you say you're in college) and it wouldn't be fair to take such advantage of a child would it? I'm willing to bet that you, like most youngsters, have an alligator mouth when hiding on the internet and a tweety bird butt when face to face with someone.

By the way, here's a newsflash: This isn't some Alberta based forum so trying to point out whatever is on that forum is not only a moot point but also a rather shallow attempt to gather support for your extremely dubious position. This entire post seems to be little more than an attempt to have others stroke your ego and when that didn't happen you try to reference another site where your ego is being stroked. It almost seems as though you need assistance to justify your actions. That is something a child does and not something a man, firm in his convictions, does. Food for thought there, Junior.

There is nothing remotely ethical about shooting 1 animal and turning your attention to another before the first one is down for good! Your hunting party very easily could have had at least 1 or 2 wounded elk on your hands and that fact seems to escape you. I'm qualified as an expert rifle shot in the military and have done a lot of shooting out to 1800 yards. You got lucky. Period! Luck, not skill resulted in neither of those animals being wounded, especially the running shot. 6 inches is the difference between a clean kill and a gutshot and your crosshair will probably cover most of that 6 inches at 500 yards. That's a risky and unwise shot to take as a first shot on an unwounded animal. Now, I understand that you were not the one that fired the running shot, but you are making a very lame attempt to defend it.

Long range shooting is specialized shooting and when the target is a living breathing animal, capable of feeling pain and suffering, special considerations must be factored in. Taking a shot at a known distance to a standing animal is one thing but when it is moving a whole bunch of things come to play. You have a constantly changing range. Animals don't always run in a straight line they tend to zig and zag. The movement of the shoulder can actually deflect the bullet slightly. The wind may not be the same where the animal is compared to where you are and any bullet can suffer from wind drift. No piece of ground is perfectly level and elevations change as the animal runs over slight hills or through low spots (if the animal enters a low spot when the bullet arrives it will hit high and if they are on a slight hill even a foot high it will hit low). You have to physically move the rifle to keep a steady lead so the shooter can cause uneven movements himself throwing the point of impact off. There is a flight time to the bullet and an animal can slow down or even stop while the bullet is in flight. Any one of these variables could have resulted in a bad shot and a wounded elk, remember 6 inches can make the difference.

Young fools, like you, know everything and those of use that have been hunting for decades don't know a damn thing do we? Before you think I don't know anything about hunting and shooting, take a second and look at the 52 pics on my photo album on this site. I've been around the block a few times and know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by flags; 01-01-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

A young college punk spouting off about others hiding behind a keyboard is all he is!!! Hey Junior wannabe, please stay the heck up in AB since it's obvious us Americans aren't your cup of tea and we sure as he** dont need your type in our country with all the other problems facing hunting down here!!! Come back with more horse manure like you're posting and you may wish you hadn't since there are site rules about posting stuff that is detrimental to hunting, which is most certainly what most would say about what you and your Dad did. Have you seen any members coming to your defense or telling you how great you are? Heck no and I can guarantee there won't be any because you're flat out wrong! To come on here and expect to get a lot of "ATTA BOYs" when you should get a smack in the mouth for talking down to your elders and not being able to comprehend plain English would be more suited for you! With your attitude and lack of knowledge at an age where I've got longjohns older than you, I think you better take a step back and look at what you've stated in your posts and either offer an apology to the members or sign off for good!!! Cripes, I've been hunting 3 times as long as you are old and you come on and act like you're some marvel of the hunting world. Grow up and read what legitimate hunting is all about and how it's done. I can guarantee that nowhere will you read or see that 500 yard running shots at unwounded game should be tried. That BS is not in any "how to" or the "way it should be done" books!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2014 at 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

"1 - Because the shooter and rifle are clearly capable"

First of all, glad you got your 1st elk. A freezer full of elk meat is a great feeling!

Second, regardless of your responses, you know as well as we do that this was a lucky shot. Just too many things could go wrong at that distance. As young as you are, deep down you know that.

I am glad it ended well. Nuff said.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a freezer full of elk is a great thing. However well this ended, THIS TIME, the result doesn't exactly justify the means.

Maybe it's different in Canada, but down here it's not generally considered very sporting or ethical to hit an animal and shift to another target before the first is down. So, from my perspective, while maybe a little bit harsh, the responses you're getting are generally what I'd expect. That's just the way it is here.

And while it comes up pretty frequently and while there ARE guys who are proficient enough to do it well enough to be predictable, long-range marksmanship skill doesn't come in a box. The one Huskemaw scope I've seen mounted on a rifle and used didn't make its owner any better at long range shooting than he was before he bought it. Either it had a mismarked turret cap or he was shooting ammo different than what it was calibrated for or under conditions significantly different than what it had been built for. Frankly, having tried it, I was quite happy returning to my Mark 4 and my dope book.

Enjoy those elk steaks and burgers. Be thankful you didn't land yourself a long trailing job.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

at a running elk moving a mediocre 35 mph it takes 26' of lead at 500 yards plus bullet drop to make the hit, if your squeezing the trigger holding 26 feet of lead how can you still be holding 20" of up to make up for bullet drop? sorry I'm not buying the whole story.
RR
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
at a running elk moving a mediocre 35 mph it takes 26' of lead at 500 yards plus bullet drop to make the hit, if your squeezing the trigger holding 26 feet of lead how can you still be holding 20" of up to make up for bullet drop? sorry I'm not buying the whole story.
RR
***RR---I'm glad you made that post because you're the guru of long range hunting/shooting on this website and what you posted is exactly why we are all calling BS. Even at half that speed it would still be a 13' lead for cripes sakes and he's trying to equate it with a standing target. In other words, he's trying to compare/equate that running shoot at 500 yards to LR hunting just because they're using that adjustable Huskemaw scope with adjustable turrets like you guys use and that know all the ins and outs of wind doping, etc. just to be as close to 100% sure you're on the button to hit a stationary target. Trying to equate themselves with guys like yourself that do standing shots with shooting at running game is an afront to you and all the rest of ethical hunters everywhere.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by moosehunter30
Hahaha typical American responses!

All completely uneducated.

Huge difference between polite Canadians and arrogant Americans.

Why would anyone think these types of comments are appropriate?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Why would anyone think these types of comments are appropriate?
Because he is a young fool and can't seem to accept it when several people hoisted the B.S. flag on the whole thing. This is a common thing for the youth of today who think the world revolves around them and all they do. There is an entire generation that cannot handle criticism and skepticism when they spout garbage.

Just think, in 30 years this same generation of youngsters will be running things! How's that for a scary thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.